Home > Trip Reports > September 3, 2014, Negro Creek Drainage, Exploratio

September 3, 2014, Negro Creek Drainage, Exploratio

9/3/14
Posted by avajane on 9/8/14 12:17pm
Went up some terrible old, abandoned logging spurs to get a view of the Hansel Creek Fire damage. Stumbled on a great mostly open and sparsely treed ridge that looked like about 1800' of top to bottom good steep skiing (a few prime days a year) Probably never been skied based on the shenanigans required to get started, and the fact that you can't see anything from the road, and the fact that it won't get good snow very often at all. Message or Facebook me if you'd like to be part of an attempt this December or January. I had the 4 TAY exploring essentials with me - so I was good.
I camped right along Ingalls Creek in early July where the fire tore through the valley. I'd assume the fire took care of the growing rattlesnake population in that area...

That does look like a fun ridge!

My cabin is one mile from the trailhead. I fish/run that trail all the time, but usually stop running when it gets hot because of the snakes. Since snakes swim well, I'm afraid they got away and will return soon. The ski will be great when it happens...this year or the next. I'll put the call out when the storm comes. Do you live in NCW Pipedream, or were you just hiking there?

I don't live in N. Central WA, but I'm fond of the area. I spent a night out under the stars with a friend back in early July when the temps spiked for the first time on the west side. We made it as far up as Crystal Creek before slogging back to a very nice campsite right along Ingalls Creek at the bottom of a boulder field which refreshing cold air was blowing out from.

The Stuart Range and Teananways are incredible but with the access being primarily from the eastern side, it's further away than a lot of other awesome areas. But there's the pronounced rainshadow, which isn't great for generating a deep snowpack, but is great for staying dry when everything near and west of the crest is getting drenched.

Do raise the alert if/when the time is right to ski that zone. You and mike can yo-yo multiple laps while I travel inefficiently via splitboard.

From Crystal Creek Fred Beckey says that there is a good cross country route up to Crystal Lake and the Enchantments. Bonus is you could camp outside the boundary and be in compliance without a lottery ticket. I haven't done this yet but I will. I would be doing it this year, but the area is still closed because of the fire. A "good" Beckey cross country route might be like some of his "4th class" pitches...

I bet the boulderfield you slept below is where the resident bears live in Ingalls. YOU SAW CAVES RIGHT? And there was nice cool air from the area....I love it. I know the spot and have seen bears around there at least 3 times in the middle of the day.

Almost every year we get a large snow dump around Thanksgiving or the first week or so in December. This year it didn't happen then but happened much later, and at a very surprising time. It was truly incredible snow for a while, and I had the two best backcountry runs of my life. Just me and my tracks...When it happens it can't be beat. You do have to perfect the art of low snow riding and be a bit careful of stumps and logs and other minor difficulties...It's not just the snow thats so good - it's the open pines you get to ski thru. It's all naturally gladed.

author=avajane link=topic=32227.msg135347#msg135347 date=1410537709]
From Crystal Creek Fred Beckey says that there is a good cross country route up to Crystal Lake and the Enchantments. Bonus is you could camp outside the boundary and be in compliance without a lottery ticket. I haven't done this yet but I will. I would be doing it this year, but the area is still closed because of the fire. A "good" Beckey cross country route might be like some of his "4th class" pitches...

That was the entire point of the trip - to scout out the approach for later in the summer/early fall and take a crack at getting up to Crystal Lake. But the torturous sunshine and temps in the mid-90s kept us from climbing too far above Ingalls Creek (and some less experienced folks who came in and set up camp on top of us at Falls Creek sent us a few miles back down the trail for more solitude).

I'd try crystal lake now if it's open yet, if not I'd be up for a thru hike from Stuart lake trailhead to snow creek. Monday or Tuesday would work for me this week. I'm not fast but I seldom stumble.

From the Wenatchee Ranger District's trail conditions page:

Ingalls Ck. Trail #1215 Between Beverly-Turnpike Trail #1391 & Stuart Pass suffered heavy damage from flash flooding during August and is washed out or buried under debris in many locations.  The route is still passable on foot, although cautious route finding will be required through several sections .The trail is not passable to stock.  Ingalls Trail #1215 is closed from trailhead to Falls Creek #1216.

So you'd have to, at the very least, go over the Teanaways to get there, which seems to be more effort than it's worth.

I'm not in shape enough for a thru-hike of the 'Chants in a single day. It's certainly a goal of mine, but probably better executed in the early summer when I haven't been sitting behind a desk getting fat all summer. I'm just hoping that Cliff Mass' prediction of a warmer-than-average fall comes true, so that I can get up into that area for a few nights once the permit restrictions end on Oct. 15th. But I hope that every year, and it almost never happens, so I might just have to settle for a overnight amongst the golden larches of Ingalls Lake and Headlight Basin.

I used to say that about Enchantments every year and usually never did it. I have been much better the last 4-5 years however. That being said, I always get stuck doing it alone - which some people say isn't so great an idea...go figure. Of course the wife just had to read about the poor bastard having to fight off a cougar by himself with his kayak paddle. I'm not sure this is going to work. I need the long days for my long trudges. I'm not fast like Mike Rolfs.

I thought cats didn't like water... maybe it was a different kind of "cougar" ;D

I don't think they like water but they swim very well. A friends dad beached his kayak on the west coast of vancouver island and got attacked and pretty torn up. He ran into the water but that didn't help. Made vancouver tv. Wouldn't be surprised to see it on the today show.

Crystal lake drainage is out for a while unless you approach from Cle Elum. I just got a voicemail from the guy responsible for the Hansel Creek Fire closure. He said he had a crew in there the other day trying to do cleanup, and they had to leave due to falling rocks. I've been know to disregard some types of closures, but when a wildfire crew is afraid to hang out under an active rockfall slope - I think I'll stay away as well. No fishing on Ingalls for me this year for the first time since 2006. :(

Reply to this TR

september-3-2014-negro-creek-drainage-exploratio
avajane
2014-09-08 19:17:47