Home > Trip Reports > September 5, 2014, Little Annapurna

September 5, 2014, Little Annapurna

9/5/14
Posted by mikerolfs on 9/5/14 1:33pm
I keep going back to the enchantments because it is close, and because I can see the peaks from Wenatchee.  This time the lure was bright white peaks after the last storm.  I thought I'd be skiing fresh snow, but I waited too long.  There was new snow, but it had blown about and it wasn't covering everything.

New snow/old snow:

I skied 6 SHORT runs on the north slopes of Little Annapurna. 
Four here:

and two here:

and although they were short (1600' total in 6 transitions)
it was fun skiing and a beautiful day.

Old snow turns:

New snow turns:

I still think if you are going into the enchantments anyway, it is worth taking your skis. 

By the way, the best money I spent last year was light boots and skis.  Way less effort to carry them to unlikely places.  Some skiability penalty, but worth it since I'm skiing, instead of wishing I'd brought my skis.
Nice work, brother.

Looks like good stuff Mike. I know well the amount of work getting to that spot and back in a day. You must get up early and get back late. I'm hoping to get up there again in the next few weeks. Time spent in The Enchantments is not subtracted from your life.

Looks great!

What kind of boots are those?

author=kylesw link=topic=32223.msg135303#msg135303 date=1410237885]
What kind of boots are those?

Kyle they are Scarpa Aliens.  The less expensive version.  About 4 pound for the pair.

Nice. Do you use this rig for everything, or just spring/summer?

author=jakedouglas link=topic=32223.msg135307#msg135307 date=1410246038]
Nice. Do you use this rig for everything, or just spring/summer?

Jake, I only use this set-up in the summer when I have to carry my boots and skis on my back for a lengthy trail approach.  If I can skin, I step up in skiabilty to burlier boots and skis.

The places Mike skis in the summer most people struggle to carry the shirt on their back.

Reply to this TR

september-5-2014-little-annapurna
mikerolfs
2014-09-05 20:33:37