Home > Trip Reports > August 24, 2014, Mt. Baker, Easton Glacier

August 24, 2014, Mt. Baker, Easton Glacier

8/24/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by snoholic on 8/25/14 8:13am
Easton update for August turns. I already had my Aug. days in but a little, (very little) arm twisting sent me toward Mt. Baker.
Four of us started from the car at 6:30am and quickly made it up to the climbers camp area where we found snow and transitioned to ski gear. A little climbing up some glacier ice (100-200 yards) got us onto snow. The route is still fairly direct, quick and skinable all the way to the crater and beyond, but we did do one or two belayed snow bridge crossing and a fair bit of roped travel up. (Of 10+ summits of Baker I don't think I have ever pulled out the rope before) Two of us stopped at the crater rim transitioned and got a nice 3000'+  sunny decent on fun, soft, lightly suncupped snow. Two others climbed on towards the summit and were rewarded with alien death clouds of doom as they reached the summit plateau. They quickly transitioned and did the Lightning bolt boogie down the Easton. The day was capped with a exiting high speed walk/run down the moraine ridge during a thunderstorm with A-framed lightning rods on our backs. Back to the car about 6:30pm. Many beers were then consumed.

Zack
Thanks for the report.  It looks pretty darn good! 

Nice to see it's still happening. Gotta plan those September turns

Reply to this TR

august-24-2014-mt-baker-easton-glacier
snoholic
2014-08-25 15:13:25