Home > Trip Reports > August 18, 2014, Mt Hood Crater Rock

August 18, 2014, Mt Hood Crater Rock

8/18/14
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Hawthorne on 8/20/14 2:09am
More Beta than anything else.  Bagged August by climbing the west rim of White River canyon to Palmer top bench, then up to base of crater rock.  I like this route when the resort is operating - keeps you away from the operation and affords views of the White River Glacier. 

Snow runs out on the climbing trail, would have had to go back to leathers on rock to go any higher.

Climbed onto the spine between White River and Illumination.  September looks possible below Illumination Rock. 

Snow above Palmer skied nice with minimal cups.  Camp operations on the snowfield had wrapped up for the day, so I got wide open turns on the salt.  Then down the canyon past the resort employee that was supposed to be directing people to download the Mile, but was so busy throwing snowballs at the parked cat, he didn't see me til the last minute.

Hopefully TLine does their regular September maintenance shutdown so we can climb the hiker's trial direct without the crowds. 

70 months.  Cheers.

The coverage on Zig Zag is actually pretty good for August. There's a decent finger that's close to zig zag canyon. I was kind of curious about the coverage on White River. 

Nice Hawthorne!  Be out next week - thanks for update.

Rode Magic Mile Sunday. This is my first attempt on this map app. I hiked up about 1.5 miles and gained 2300 verical. I has three ski legs totaling 2.4 miles and 3675 vertical skied. I rode the Magic Mile up then booted for most of the way up on snow and skinned the last 500 vertical as it got steeper.

http://caltopo.com/map?id=6A4J

Reply to this TR

august-18-2014-mt-hood-crater-rock
Hawthorne
2014-08-20 09:09:35