Home > Trip Reports > August 16-17, Flett/Russell Glaciers, Rainier

August 16-17, Flett/Russell Glaciers, Rainier

8/16/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kciari on 8/19/14 3:23pm
My fellow Tutu Enthusiast, Theresa, and I have been talking about the Russell Glacier for a few months, and finally had the opportunity to get out there for a friend's 30th birthday. Eleven of us left Seattle early on Saturday morning with our fancy birthday attire just to be the 317th car in the parking lot at Mowich Lake.

Undeterred, we hiked toward Spray Park, and finally hit snow somewhere around 6500'. We skinned up to make camp below Echo Rock around 7600', and climbed another 800vert or so to ski the steep headwall just southeast of Observation Rock before the sun went down.

We woke up in the morning to watch the sunrise, then set about a SUPER ALPINE start of 11:00 to climb up to the Russell headwall (9000'). The glacier navigation was really no problem, and we were skiing down after enjoying a leisurely lunch by 1pm.

Then it was back to camp to pack up and start the long trudge out. Why it always seems to unbearably long on the way out is beyond me, but we were happy to eat nacho-tots back in Wilkeson.

I'm having trouble with the photo upload - sorry! View all the photos and a more detailed report here.

Yeah, we've come to the conclusion over the years that while an August hike into Spray Pk is about 3 miles, the trip back out is actually 9 miles.

Fun trip. Looks like a fun group. You seem to have a penchant for drawing a crowd.

The "locals" call that lake "Cat Eye" Lake.

No mention of the "moonlight/night" run down the Flett before retiring. If you missed it you might consider adding it to the agenda for next time. It's a hoot.

Keep up the great work.

author=ron j link=topic=32158.msg135119#msg135119 date=1408550762]
Yeah, we've come to the conclusion over the years that while an August hike into Spray Pk is about 3 miles, the trip back out is actually 9 miles.

It's the final *uphill* on the exit just before reaching the trailhead that adds an effective six incremental miles!
(Ditto for Middle Sister, ugh.)
Especially bad when you "enjoy" the little descent at the beginning of the day while knowing how horrible that section will in reverse at the end of the day...

This tour was much much more fun when it was serious ;)

Looks like a weekend full of fun.  It was nice meeting you on Friday :)

Reply to this TR

august-16-17-flett-russell-glaciers-rainier
kciari
2014-08-19 22:23:14