Home > Forum > Vote for best Ski Tech. Need edge replaced.

Vote for best Ski Tech. Need edge replaced.

• zeroforhire
  • [zeroforhire]
More
19 Aug 2014 08:06 - 19 Aug 2014 13:34 #222568 by zeroforhire
Vote for best Ski Tech. Need edge replaced. was created by zeroforhire
I scored a screaming deal on some DPS Yellow Bananas, but they are missing about an inch and a half of the metal edge.  This is probably above and beyond my skill to fix.... so I need some help from the collective.

Who has the skills to fix this?  Please let me know if any of you have had edges replaced and how that went for you.... cost etc.

thanks.

I am in Lake Stevens, but am happy to travel to get this fixed.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Aug 2014 09:27 #222569 by Randito
Tognar toolworks has the materials and tools you need for such a repair.

edge repair items

Base repair items

If you have decent woodworking skills you should be able to do it -- you might want to pick up a junk pair of skis somewhere and practice first.

Otherwise World Cup Ski Service is a pretty good bet -- though I've never used them since I do all my own mounting, waxing and repairs.

• tele.skier
  • [tele.skier]
More
19 Aug 2014 12:49 #222570 by tele.skier
Replied by tele.skier on topic Re: Vote for best Ski Tech. Need edge replaced.
post a picture of the damage that needs to be repaired....

More
19 Aug 2014 13:44 #222571 by Pete A
i've had good luck installing a new edge and screws ordered from Tognar, the only really specialty equipment that is handy to have is a dremmel tool. Getting the new base material to bond has been really problematic though. The sheet ptex has ripped out using several different types of adhesives... I finally just gooped a bunch of edge-grip ptex cord into the edge repaired area and that will usually hold for a handful of tours before it begins to fail.

If you go the DIY route, be careful how much base you cut away...only take out just enough to expose the edge screws.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
19 Aug 2014 18:50 #222572 by Randito

...  Getting the new base material to bond has been really problematic though.   The sheet ptex has ripped out using several different types of adhesives... 

Did you try the sand, score and heat the base side of the P-Tex procedure and then use West System GFlex Epoxy ?

• tele.skier
  • [tele.skier]
More
19 Aug 2014 20:20 #222573 by tele.skier
Replied by tele.skier on topic Re: Vote for best Ski Tech. Need edge replaced.
ouch,... , you may get a season out of a well done repair before you have to repair it again, depending on how hard you ski. If it was my ski, I would repair it, but I'm a little OCD when it comes to fixing stuff.... I would pass on that repair... I got my hands full at the moment.

• T. Eastman
  • [T. Eastman]
More
19 Aug 2014 20:26 #222574 by T. Eastman
Replied by T. Eastman on topic Re: Vote for best Ski Tech. Need edge replaced.
Will you be depending on that ski in a backcountry situation?

Would you splice a rope and go on a technical run out?

• zeroforhire
  • [zeroforhire]
More
19 Aug 2014 20:44 #222575 by zeroforhire
Replied by zeroforhire on topic Re: Vote for best Ski Tech. Need edge replaced.

I'm not riding it anywhere until I fix it.

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
19 Aug 2014 20:44 - 19 Aug 2014 21:05 #222576 by dave095790
Replied by dave095790 on topic Re: Vote for best Ski Tech. Need edge replaced.

i think there is a big difference. 

a ski that barely functions as a ski, but keeps skins attached and keeps you afloat on the downhill (even without "flow" for those who "really" care about "flow") is still a highly valuable item and still well worth its weight.  You can get yourself back on a pretty frankenstiened ski: ski straps, hose clamps, who cares ... i doubt the integrity of a highly accurate, sharp, 2-degree bevelled edge will really matter if you needed it like you need a rope on a sketchy, shitty, runout piece of technical climbing.  I've never had a ski save me in that situation (sketchy technical climbing, if anything, they actually get in the way); but just about anything that is firmly attached to my feet will get me down even the worst of a sketchy slope. 

If you needing your ski like that, as you need a rope in a technical bit of climbing, it shouldn't really matter - as long as it's fastened well to your boot.  If your taking on that significant of an objective (like skiing Mt Robson), probably better to choose your best set of skis ... and I bet the OP has several pairs.  

Back to the OP question, if you've got the goods and the ability, it would be cool to repair it yourself and see what happens.  If you don't have the ability or are not sure, what's a few bucks (maybe $100 - who cares) to get the thing fixed right by a pro?  The reward of DIY is amazing, but the time you get for yourself if someone else does it better is worth just about as much.  If you're slaying the slopes in August and buying new skis that need repair you're probably not scrapping by for food so go for more free time -> more fun for you. 

My 0.02. 

• zeroforhire
  • [zeroforhire]
More
19 Aug 2014 20:51 #222577 by zeroforhire

i think there is a big difference. 

a ski that barely functions as a ski, but keeps skins attached and keeps you afloat on the downhill (even without "flow" for those who "really" care about "flow") is still a highly valuable item and still well worth its weight.  You can get yourself back on a pretty frankenstiened ski: ski straps, hose clamps, who cares ... i doubt the integrity of a highly accurate, sharp, 2-degree bevelled edge will really matter if you needed it like you need a rope on a sketchy, shitty, runout piece of technical climbing.  I've never had a ski save me in that situation (sketchy technical climbing, if anything, they actually get in the way); but just about anything that is firmly attached to my feet will get me down even the worst of a sketchy slope. 

If you needing your ski like that, as you need a rope in a technical bit of climbing, it shouldn't really matter - as long as it's fastened well to your boot.  If your taking on that significant of an objective (like skiing the Mt Robson), probably better to choose your best set of skis ... and I bet the OP has several pairs.  

My 0.02. 

exactly. I have a number of other skis in much better shape. I have always wanted this set and might be up to fixing it.

fwiw, I am in in no way a good enough rider to do anything that technical.

More
20 Aug 2014 06:04 #222578 by Pete A

Did you try the sand, score and heat the base side of the P-Tex procedure and then use West System GFlex Epoxy ?

i applied the patch material as you described, but the epoxies I've tried were locktite hysol products- never tried anything from West System....maybe i should give it another go when the edge grip blob patch I have in there starts to pull away.

More
20 Aug 2014 06:58 #222579 by davidG
I am definitely not the best ski tech I know, but people tell me that powder skis don't even need edges.  Fill the wound with base material and ski it proudly?  Early on I'd repair serious gouges by melting-in plastic produce bags.  File to fit.  Never had a failure and still have some around.  A bit of a turn to the right, maybe..   ;)

More
21 Aug 2014 06:50 #222586 by khyak
Answers?? Yes he could do a crappy repair job, but the question was "what shop/tech would someone recommend?" Looking at the picture it looks like he is going to need a good base grind as well. Currently my favorite tech is Steve at Alpental, but that's in my neighborhood. Anyone have a tech up North? Bellingham? Whistler?

• zeroforhire
  • [zeroforhire]
More
21 Aug 2014 08:21 #222587 by zeroforhire
Has anyone had any experience with Pro Ski in North Bend? I saw on their website that they do basic tunes etc.

More
21 Aug 2014 08:46 #222588 by ron j

Has anyone had any experience with Pro Ski in North Bend?  I saw on their website that they do basic tunes etc.

Mike at Pro Ski IMO is a very through and talented ski tech and he makes his own custom skis. I would take it to him and if he said he could repair it I would bank on it.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 Aug 2014 19:00 #222599 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Vote for best Ski Tech. Need edge replaced.

Answers??  Yes he could do a crappy repair job, but the question was "what shop/tech would someone recommend?"  Looking at the picture it looks like he is going to need a good base grind as well.  Currently my favorite tech is Steve at Alpental, but that's in my neighborhood.  Anyone have a tech up North?   Bellingham?  Whistler?

i've only heard glowing reports about this tech.

• kolockum
  • [kolockum]
More
01 Oct 2014 14:14 #222735 by kolockum

Answers??  Yes he could do a crappy repair job, but the question was "what shop/tech would someone recommend?"  Looking at the picture it looks like he is going to need a good base grind as well.  Currently my favorite tech is Steve at Alpental, but that's in my neighborhood.  Anyone have a tech up North?   Bellingham?  Whistler?

Steve at Alpental is my go to person with any ski needs or problems. Half the equipment in the shop is his personal gear. Although I did hear a second hand rumor he may not be coming back this winter.

Aside from Steve, Leavenworth Mountain Sports is very solid. And I have only heard good things about ProSki in North Bend.