Home > Trip Reports > August 18, 2014, Mt. Daniel no longer continuous

August 18, 2014, Mt. Daniel no longer continuous

8/18/14
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 8/18/14 11:36pm
Tim Tietjen and I made a day trip to Daniel and found no continuous ski route from the East Summit.  We made 3 laps on the snowfield above the cliffband and then pieced together the exit.  There was a lot of this though:

On the Hyas Glacier we met Mauri Pelto, director of the North Cascades Glacier Climate Project.
author=mikerolfs link=topic=32156.msg135100#msg135100 date=1408458994">On the Hyas Glacier we met Mauri Pelto, director of the North Cascades Glacier Climate Project. NCGCP site
Mauri and two graduate students were walking a grid pattern on the Hyas with a steel probe and notebooks.  His group included 2 young guys and 4 young women and they were on a 15 day tour of glaciers on Rainier, Shuksan, and Daniel.  Meeting this group was the highlight of the day for me.  Mauri has done annual surveys of the same glaciers in Washington for 31 years (he comes from Massachusetts!).

Wow, never would have thought that I live only an hour away from a glaciology research center!

OCD madman! 

wow, way to get after it late season on daniel, and good to hear people are paying attention to the snowpack, and glaciers. thank you NCGCP, and good on you mike - seems you lay tracks on this mountain several times each year. not too long until fresh snow may start to grace daniels slopes. maybe we'll cross tracks up there sometime.  8)

Reply to this TR

august-18-2014-mt-daniel-no-longer-continuous
mikerolfs
2014-08-19 06:36:34