Home > Trip Reports > August 2014, Logan High Route Varian(May 2014)

August 2014, Logan High Route Varian(May 2014)

8/15/14
Posted by Forest McBrian on 8/11/14 10:38pm
I took forever to write something up about this, and figured it would be offer someone a chance to escape from work and dream of ski touring. But then I noticed how many recent posts there are€“man, this is one industrious ski community! I haven't seen very few folks on skis this summer in the Alps (aside from summer downhill training camps around Zermatt).

In may I skied with Trevor Kostanich from Cascade River to Rainy Pass via a variant of Lowell Skoog's Logan High Route. It was one of the best ski tours I've done in the state, and deserves to get more attention. Cool terrain, incredible views, and about as wild as it gets. I'll definitely do it again.

Here is my write up, though to fairly warn you, it's pretty historical and reflective, and doesn't offer a blow-by-blow of the itinerary:

http://www.borealismountainguides.com/forest-mcbrian-mountain-guide/

Awesome Forest. Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic historical perspective! Every time I find mining works above 5000' I marvel at the audacity and gumption of the early miners. Yes things changed and we now all have a land more valuable to society, but their early feats remain impressive; I often think the individuals who struck out into the wild in search of minerals in the high Cascades were basically this community (TAY, etc..) stuck in a different era.

"We didn’t know, and in fact we had purposefully neglected any research on this leg of the trip. "
^ This. Being prepared is a good idea but reading guidebooks can be like watching a movie trailer that has all the highlights before going to the movie; the film then loses a bit of luster. It's a balance I struggle with but some trips surprise and discovery really enhance the experience.

Thanks for the beautifully written report!  Ditto for your previous journal posting.

Great story, Forest!

That's some first-rate farming, if you take my meaning.  ;)

Two minor things: 

• Our 1987 trip ended at Sibley Creek (west of Hidden Lake Peak) instead of Eldorado Creek.

• We really had just one deep valley excursion, into Thunder Creek. It looks like you were able to traverse high from the Thunder Glacier toward Park Creek Pass. We didn't like the look of that section, so we dropped down. The direction of your trip allowed you to move faster through there, I suspect.

Good job crossing "Dead End Pass." I can't remember if I've heard that name before. My brothers and I crossed it in 1986 in the other direction, during a trip from Rainy Pass to Mesahchie Pass. We rappelled over rock rather than down-climbing snow.

The basin below Black Peak is wild and lonely. That's where Carl took the opening photo of my "Skiing in climbing boots" story.

Inspiring, and thought provoking.  Thanks for sharing.

I really enjoyed the introspective and philosophical musings in your TR. Looks like a great trip. Thanks.

author=Micah link=topic=32142.msg135055#msg135055 date=1407949906]
I really enjoyed the introspective and philosophical musings in your TR. Looks like a great trip. Thanks.

If you enjoyed those, have a gander at this month's Alpinist for Forest's excellent Pickets feature.

Wow, thanks for taking the time, wonderful . You are so right it sure can be hard to remember it's the journey when your scared stiff on some slippery rock in ski boots, or over your head in devils club but it's true. I have Alpinist 47 in my travel bag and I'm with Charlie, it's a great article.

Ah Forest!  I've been waiting for this... crazy timing... just as you posted this I was away with my family doing the maple pass loop and thinking all about where you may have gone etc.  Too bad for us the smoke obscured our far away views.

At the same time, the smoke added an element of mystery and some interesting lighting at times.  These mountains are deep and I really think you have a gift in unfolding their mystery.

Looking forward to talking about this one with you in person this autumn and planning some more adventures.

Thanks for posting here!

This is just to make note of the outrageous picture by Jason on the first two pages of your article in Alpinist 47.  To all others check it out..........wonderful!

What a treat to drop in here on a summer day and read about a grand ski traverse--appreciate the route, prose, and reflection.  That NW cirque of Black Peak certainly is a wild place. 

Didn't know that the col between Black and its northern sub-peak (please correct if I've misunderstood or misplaced your crossing) was called "Dead End Pass"; cool name that bespeaks the spicy prospect of dropping into that NW cirque.

Reply to this TR

august-2014-logan-high-route-varian-may-2014
Forest McBrian
2014-08-12 05:38:10