Home > Trip Reports > August 10, 2014, Rainbow and Sholes Glaciers

August 10, 2014, Rainbow and Sholes Glaciers

8/10/14
Posted by iluka on 8/10/14 1:09pm
August turns were had but it's a good thing there was no one out there looking at and evaluating the quality of my work because it wasn't pretty...

Headed out to the Rainbow and Sholes Glaciers. The trail out to Camp Kiser is in good shape with occasional, relatively short snow patches. Both glaciers were pretty sun-cupped which made for not great skiing... at least for me on my telemark gear. The worst of the sun cups on the Sholes are right when you come down from Camp Kiser to the lower part of the glacier. Just about the only flat surface, good skiing I found on that glacier was the the lowest 200-300 feet before you run out of ski terrain. The upper Sholes is pretty cracked up as shown in the photo below. The lower glacier has some ice patches and small cracks but all are easily avoided. There's about 700 feet of descent to be had on the Rainbow but it also had a lot of sun cups as well as a bunch of runnels which didn't make for the best skiing.

So so skiing and all... it was still a great day. Hard to beat the scenery and the solitude once you venture past Camp Kiser and particularly once on the Rainbow where the views of the Park Glacier are just awesome
Good August outing!
Andy, do you think the Rainbow will be big/soft enough to be worth the hike in early September?

Hey Mack!

The first time I was out there two years ago later in August you could ski further down the Rainbow than I was able this time. It was only about 700 feet or so of descent this year and the bottom part was fairly flat as well. I imagine that by September it might be even less. The Sholes was also starting to show a fair amount of ice even on the lower sections.

Still a pretty place back there!

Reply to this TR

august-10-2014-rainbow-and-sholes-glaciers
iluka
2014-08-10 20:09:18