Home > Trip Reports > Aug 2, 2014, Mt Rainier, Russell/Flett

Aug 2, 2014, Mt Rainier, Russell/Flett

8/2/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by androolus on 8/6/14 2:47am
I've been too lazy to post a report, but reading the wolf's adventure mit schnauzer has inspired me, since I was glad I did not accompany them to the small bagely snow patch. Sorry dude :)

Anyway I was saved by wolfs' fryingpan report because I would have gone there thinking it would have been better snow. The july 19 russell report gave me hope that things could still be good there. And it was. The snow was still snowy. Even the Flett headwall looked snowy. I was too lazy to hike to the top of it, but it may have been the day to do it. The lower flett wasn't sticky but it was too sun cupped to ski very well. I was able to use skis well into spray park as well.

I made it to the bottom of the final headwall on the Russell. The last 200 feet looked too dirty to bother with. The steep section below that was dirty but was smooth and skied quite well. I hit another steep section halfway down on the skiers left that was quite primo. Had I been smart, I would have just yoyo'd that a few times.

If laziness doesn't consume me, perhaps I will post some picture tonight, but thought I should at least give a conditions report since it seems like skiing the russell will remain good for sometime.

Photos always a plus---tho I never post them....
Good update---sounds similar to when we skied the Flett 7/27.  Then the lower Flett was still quite smooth.  We were able to skin from Spray Park & back with some short meadow-hops, so it seems there is not too much snow loss in the last 1-1/2 weeks. 

Reply to this TR

aug-2-2014-mt-rainier-russell-flett
androolus
2014-08-06 09:47:16