Home > Trip Reports > July 18, 2014, Daniel again

July 18, 2014, Daniel again

7/18/14
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 7/20/14 2:06am
Ben and I found the summit register full last week on the west summit of Mt. Daniel.  Plus it was moist and tattered due to a missing screw cap on the PVC pipe register canister.   Not really tattered, but critters had chewed the exposed edge of booklet.  I'd seen this same condition last fall and it was bugging me so I decided to fix it.  Besides the desire to fix the register problem, the skiing is prime on Daniel right now.   I took Moxie and we day-tripped to the west summit and back in just under 7 hours.   Moxie was a champion and stayed at the base of the summit pyramid where I put her.  I didn't expect that good of a stay.   The skiing is even better now than a week ago.  Somehow the surface has smoothed out a bit.  If you have been thinking about visiting Mt. Daniel for a ski trip, right now is the right time.  I met Pavel on the way out, he was headed in for two days.  Fun to meet people in person that I've spoken with via TAY.

Mox on the descent.  The best ski dog on 4 inch legs.

Mike,
nice to meet you and Moxie.  You were right skiing on Friday was great; corn with small suncups (size A-B).  The wind higher up, however, was ferocious forcing me to retreat.  The weather definitely turned making for an unsettled and drizzly night and quite hard morning snow.  Not wanting to slip on the hard snow, I lit out of there on Saturday first under sunny and later cloudy skies.  Met two other skiers; hopefully the weather on Sunday calmed down for them.  This place is a gem but luckily the price of admission is quite steep (literally).

Mike… wish I could have made it.  Always looking for a noble excuse to ski eh?

little late, but I just put up this Video from Daniel last week. Mike - your reports of smooth snow were spot on! super quality corn off the east summit, but I had a few more carry overs than you :( snow melts fast this time of year.

Reply to this TR

july-18-2014-daniel-again
mikerolfs
2014-07-20 09:06:37