Home > Trip Reports > July 12-13, 2014, Mt. Daniels fun harvest

July 12-13, 2014, Mt. Daniels fun harvest

7/12/14
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by bensidor on 7/14/14 12:34pm
Per iluka's TR (http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=32038.0), we decided that we better take advantage and get some for ourselves. 

A fairly lazy morning leaving Wenatchee had us at Peggy's Pond at 10 a.m. Made a quick transition as the damn bugs were quite persistent.  It felt like we had the whole place to ourselves as we only saw a couple small groups climbing the east ridge.  We opted for the climbing the Hyas and skirted around the spire onto the Daniel Glacier. 

We couldn't resist the urge and made a few turns from the spire.

The snow did not disappoint!

A quick skin back up had us on the West Summit by 2 p.m.

Mike skiing off the west.

Charging towards Pea Soup Lake.  Hooting and hollering all the way down!

Looking back up at our signatures.  We saw a solo skier skinning up when we were on the summit, but were unable to connect with him.  His tracks look like someone is holding a flashlight on them! 

Back up we go

A quick scramble put us on the Middle Summit.

Skied off the Middle on the Danial Glacier and had more fun than should be allowable in 500'

Found a great spot to camp on the saddle along the East Ridge of the East Summit.  Nobody likes the forest fires, but what an unbelievable sunset we were treated to. 

And a full moon dessert over Stuart!

Couldn't have asked for a more comfortable night.  Not a lick of wind and arose to yet another treat.

After a lazy morning we decided we better go put tracks on the slope facing camp from the East Summit.

Rainier in the background

Loaded up camp, booted back up the East Summit and made quick work of, what felt like, a free 2400' back to Peggy's Pond. 

All in all, we skied great snow for two days and I spent most of my time trying to keep up the mountain goat!  We were able to ski off of all three summits and had more fun that should be allowed doing so.
author=bensidor link=topic=32074.msg134815#msg134815 date=1405395266]
Per iluka's TR (http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=32038.0),

I knew Daniels was the place to be!

This was such a great trip that it's hard to pinpoint a highlight, but two come to mind, first was Ben's blank stare to (after the approach was complete)... "so which bivy did you bring?"...

Second was the "hit the rock" game... Ben won, but I think I won too.  Amazing evening in the alpine.

edit to add link to video -
https://vimeo.com/100902523

(includes some Eldorado and Clark footage)

That solo skier was me going back to my camp below East Peak.  Too bad we didn't meet, but did cross ski tracks!  Yes, skiing was good and the Moon was big.  And nice Sunset/Sunrise, too.  I'll post some pix later.

author=Kenji link=topic=32074.msg134821#msg134821 date=1405406744]
That solo skier was me going back to my camp below East Peak.  Too bad we didn't meet, but did cross ski tracks!  Yes, skiing was good and the Moon was big.  And nice Sunset/Sunrise, too.  I'll post some pix later.

Nice turns, Kenji.  They caught the sun just right for us.  The couple you met on the summit told us about the really fast tele skier that we just missed.  I think if Ben and I had been 2 minutes quicker, we would have gotten to say hi.

Nice one!  Alas, "Oh Danny Boy! the pipes are calling me home!"  I need need need to go there.

Nice work you guys, green with envy, SUPER MOON!!

Reply to this TR

july-12-13-2014-mt-daniels-fun-harvest
bensidor
2014-07-14 19:34:26