Home > Trip Reports > July 14, Paradise Glacier last call

July 14, Paradise Glacier last call

7/14/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by kamtron on 7/14/14 4:17am
Showed some friends the Paradise glacier ski yesterday. It's getting to the end, but we were still able to ski within 20ft of the trailhead. The cups are noticable below the terminus of the glacier, raised tracks are annoying above that, but overall the skiing is still good. Lucky for us, the weather held throughout the day despite threatening to shower, and a cool breeze kept the snow from getting overly-soft (skied down around 4pm).

As usual, not a soul on the Paradise despite endless hordes trudging and skiing to and from Muir. A great day, maybe my last for a little while.
Great report, and timely, too, since I'm thinking of heading that way soon.  However, I'm confused about something: you said "last call", yet you can still ski to within 20' of the (presumably 4th x'ing) TH.  I'm not sure how to interpret that.  Admittedly it can become a PITA to trudge over the talus and moraines around the bottom of the Paradise in late summer, but it should be skiable all year, right?  We skied it on the last day of August last year, and although it was a long and arduous approach, it was still worthwhile.

There are a number of thin sections below Mazama ridge that will be gone in a day or so, if not already. Still, the glacier will be reachable and rideable with only short carries for a while yet.
Get some!

Was up there yesterday. 4th crossing start still has plenty of snow to ski within 20 steps of road. Awesome day with no one else on route all day- solitude. Sticky up high and then minimal suncups/old ski tracks. The softness still made it smooth. Crevasses were few and easily negotiated. Go get it and have fun.

I was up there the last couple days and it was still pretty damn good, very small bumps (not cups), no real stickiness. We booted up to the ridge from 4th Crossing, but with a couple carries could ski down to within a 5 min. walk of the car (without meadow mashing).

Goat families

Skiing Paradise Glacier

Another day in Paradise

a short cornice-hucking video from our trip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7zCBFYFO8

Hi all, any update on conditions on the paradise? Crevasses, sun cups, how much carrying etc.?

Oh, and the turns of course

Thanks

Reply to this TR

july-14-paradise-glacier-last-call
kamtron
2014-07-14 11:17:41