Home > Trip Reports > July 10, South Sister

July 10, South Sister

7/10/14
OR elsewhere
Posted by danpeck on 7/10/14 11:47pm
I was able to squeeze in a 5 hour trip up to the South Sister during our family vacation to the Bend area.

I woke up at 4:30 with plans to do either Bachelor or the South Sister.  Bachelor would be faster.  But really wanted to get on the South Sister.  Saw a week old photo of the south face from a chap at Bend's Mountain Supply and it looked worth it. 

I arrived at Bachelor and was able to scope both mountains.  Bachelor had been getting lots of morning sun, would be quick, and likely the snow would be better by the time I was ready to ski.  But those lifts and all the resort equipment just made it seem less wild and less of an adventure.  So... I decided for adventure.  I knew I'd have to haul in order to make it back by noon as my wife was expecting.

I started from the Devil's Lake TH.  The morning air was cool and felt great.  The snow was hard and in some places slippery but for the most part grippy enough for me to wear tennis shoes up to about 7K where the slopes were steeper.  So I transitioned to ski boots.

I was able to work my way up snow patches most of the way, but then was forced onto pumice at about 9K just above the Lewis Glacier.

The day was perfectly clear and sunny.  A very slight breeze at the summit made for a nice lunch spot.

The snow for my descent at 10 am was probably not as soft as I would have liked it.  But soft enough.  The lewis glacier was particularly sweet smooth corn.  After that it was speeding down small and chattery sun cups, but I had to make good time. 

I made it to the flats above Moraine lake where I transitioned out of ski mode to running in ski boots mode in order to make it down in time.  The temps at about 10:30 were starting to get rather warm.

On my way down I was passed by a trail runner who had started after me.  My car-to-car time was 5 hours.  I'm guessing his was 4, maybe even 3.  Pretty cool running spot :)

I enjoyed a nice head dip in the creek at Devil's Lake TH just before I raced back home and was there by 12:45.

More pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danpeck/sets/72157645577152866/
Your *gasp* heels....
What's the story with those heels?!
author=danpeck link=topic=32060.msg134770#msg134770 date=1405090060]

author=mikerolfs link=topic=32060.msg134773#msg134773 date=1405108809]
Your *gasp* heels....
What's the story with those heels?!

Aha.  You noticed.

Don't worry.  Tele will not be rooted out of my soul so easily.  These guys are meant for long summer walks when the skiing isn't expected to be much.  More of an alpine tool really.

So, when I expect the skiing to be good I'll free the heel!  After all, I didn't invest in TTS for nothing.  High speed smooth butter turns on corn means tele.  Powder means tele.  Long walks in the summer or multi day alpine traverses will mean AT. 

This was my second true run on AT with my heels locked.  The first time was odd.  Jump turns on steep were careful.  But I quickly got the hang of it (I think).  However, this trip I forgot to lock my boots into ski mode on the steepest run and paid for it with a nice 15 foot wipe-out and I got to experience for myself that dynafits do indeed release!  Wow, a releasable binging!  Still haven't figured out the trick of clipping into the tech toe on a steep slope though.

I'm just excited to have more tools for the alpine and feather weight at that.  It feels like resurrection to be carrying skis that pretty much weigh nothing. 

Well done! Nice pics too. It's hard to do telemark turns with dynafits isn't it :)

author=runcle link=topic=32060.msg134783#msg134783 date=1405143709]
Well done! Nice pics too. It's hard to do telemark turns with dynafits isn't it :)

Yah.  At first I thought "These bindings are Junk!"  And then I realized the heels are not supposed to move  ;D

Way to move and get after it.  Do you think there is any chance SW of Middle will still be skiable in 1-2 weeks when I am back home? 
There is some okay beach bouldering here in Puerto Vallarta but it's probably not worth bringing the skis.....  :'(

author=telemack link=topic=32060.msg134789#msg134789 date=1405226849]
Way to move and get after it.  Do you think there is any chance SW of Middle will still be skiable in 1-2 weeks when I am back home? 
There is some okay beach bouldering here in Puerto Vallarta but it's probably not worth bringing the skis.....   :'(

Things are melting super fast there.  I was lucky to get what I got.  It was quite hot in the valley while we were there... approaching 100 degrees.  85ish in the mountain lower elevations.  Maybe 70's up high but with a breeze that cooled things off. 

My summit pictures show the SW rib of middle still looking good.  I think the chances are not great, but I don't know how that feature typically holds up over the summer.  Places like Rainier and Baker are probably going to be better in 2 weeks.

Have fun in Puerto Vallarta while dreaming about skiing.  At least there is the ocean and the bouldering to keep you busy  ;D

Nice post. Good to see some CO posts. Did my first summit/ski about a week earlier July 5. Yes, melting out quick.  I skied the snowfields skier right of Lewis. I got about 3,500 skiing in. Wow! the view looking north from the summit is something on a clear day.

Reply to this TR

july-10-south-sister
danpeck
2014-07-11 06:47:40