Home > Trip Reports > July 5-6, 2014, SE Ridge of Middle Sister

July 5-6, 2014, SE Ridge of Middle Sister

7/5/14
OR elsewhere
Posted by RyanPete81 on 7/8/14 2:55pm
For those interested, consistent skin-able snow starts around ~6800' on the east side approach to Middle Sister's SE ridge, obviously melting fast. The route is in OK shape with last ~500' or so being melted out requiring some easy ski boot scrambling. We skinned the first 1000' from our camp at 7000' and booted the rest due to firm early AM conditions. We had the mountain to ourselves on a beautiful sunny Sunday morning. 
Thanks for the update- I did it from  Camp  Lake around June 1 and  it was excellent with tons  of snow low down.  How is the sun- cup  situation?  Are the mosquitoes fierce yet (anywhere and including pole creek trail head)?

Thinking that a run down to Chambers Lake(s) would be a nice line (unless there are mosquitoes there).  Did you notice if that would be continuous?

Thanks again!

Beautiful picture.  Looks like a fun puzzle to ski.

author=rlsg link=topic=32050.msg134745#msg134745 date=1404962730]
Thanks for the update- I did it from  Camp  Lake around June 1 and  it was excellent with tons  of snow low down.  How is the sun- cup  situation?  Are the mosquitoes fierce yet (anywhere and including pole creek trail head)?

Thinking that a run down to Chambers Lake(s) would be a nice line (unless there are mosquitoes there).  Did you notice if that would be continuous?

Thanks again!

Where were snow levels on June 1?

Bugs were tolerable at the trailhead and the worst between Soap and Whychus creeks-still not too bad though. Bugs were no problem at all around Camp lake as there is very little bare ground, the lake was about 3/4 melted out.

We were able to ski down to the Chambers Lakes with a couple of very short carries on flatter ground.

author=RyanPete81 link=topic=32050.msg134747#msg134747 date=1404966630]
Where were snow levels on June 1?

Bugs were tolerable at the trailhead and the worst between Soap and Whychus creeks-still not too bad though. Bugs were no problem at all around Camp lake as there is very little bare ground, the lake was about 3/4 melted out.

We were able to ski down to the Chambers Lakes with a couple of very short carries on flatter ground.

Thanks!  The snow line was probably below the fork to Demaris Lake (a tad above the Soap Crk crossing).  That is an  impressive late-season snowpack considering very little bare ground at Camp Lake which I believe is around 6900'?  So pretty "cuppy" somewhere?-- like around Chambers Lakes......? (Lumps are ok...huge suncups like on the flats at Moraine Lake are a pain in my opinion...

lumps or suncups...

Thanks..

Suncups were minor, a non-issue really. only two legitimate melted out campsites adjacent to camp lake. Things are changing rapidly though...

Reply to this TR

july-5-6-2014-se-ridge-of-middle-sister
RyanPete81
2014-07-08 21:55:35