Home > Trip Reports > July 6, 2014, Naches Peak, Sun Cupped Corn

July 6, 2014, Naches Peak, Sun Cupped Corn

7/6/14
WA Cascades East Slopes South
Posted by PhilH on 7/8/14 6:49am
Last Saturday my nephew texted me "want to do Naches Peak after church on Sunday?" I confess the temptation was too great to resist. We left Yaki-Vegas and arrived in the Chinook Pass parking lot just before noon. Thankfully we made it safely from the car to the TH. The Dodge diesel driving, horse trailer pulling, motor home dwelling, Harley riding German tourists were bent on ending our day before it started.

We started skinning from the parking lot (trying to look cool) but quickly gave up and carried the first mile of the PCT because of the steep side hill and occasional dirt patch. Leaving the PCT just before the tarn we skinned up through the saddle to the climbers left of the bowl. From there it was a short scramble up the melted out rim to the skier€™s summit.

If there€™s such a thing as perfect sun cupped corn we found the goods.  Church, skiing, home in time for dinner €“ a slice of Eastern Washington heaven.
Another pic looking down from below the skier's summit to the tarn on the PCT.

Wow, great TR!  Was very curious to know what was going on over there lately.  So still a (somewhat) easy option to bag July "safety" turns then.  Thanks again!

author=dgallanger link=topic=32049.msg134749#msg134749 date=1405004881]
Great Pictures!

Dean - I expect  a report with pictures on here Monday morning from your weekend adventure.

author=dgallanger link=topic=32049.msg134749#msg134749 date=1405004881]
Great Pictures!

We needed you dgallanger. No one was along to double-dog dare us to pond skim.

Reply to this TR

july-6-2014-naches-peak-sun-cupped-corn
PhilH
2014-07-08 13:49:11