Home > Trip Reports > July 3, 2014, Burroughs Mountain

July 3, 2014, Burroughs Mountain

7/3/14
Posted by telemack on 7/3/14 2:22pm
     Dan Peck and I took the skis for a walk to celebrate In-Dee-Pen-Dence before we each got out of town for much of July.  No TRs on Sunrise for a week or 2, but I was optimistic, and he hadn't skied there yet. 
     Dege Peak and Sourdough Chutes are done, but there are intermittent lines along  the N of 2nd Burroughs.  The longest one looked passable but we had to unclick to thread some steep rocks.  What snow is left is still smooth, and we had a good 800' into Berkeley Park.  Then we booted out and up from Frozen Lake again to the top of the "Poser Patch", from which we were able to link the creek and meadows to less than 1/2 mile from the parking lot.
     It seems there are bigger spaces between the remnants than other Julys, but what remains is deep.  Inter, upper Emmons, and the Fryingpan all look good for a while yet.

This is not a new one, and it's not about today, but what the heck:

Hear the song of the Turns-All-Year skier,
Who takes part in a sport some think queer.
Snow all 'round the seasons
Makes for really good reasons
To exercise, then drink strong beer.     ::)

Super fun day Mack!  I'll post photos tomorrow. Just arrived late to our destination in OR.

Okay... I have a veeeerrry slow internet connection where I'm at so it will be easiest for me to simply post a link to my flickr site with a few photos.

Definitely a very scenic area and I enjoyed my first time exploring these parts.  Lots of dreaming and planning for future adventures.

Great trip!  Thanks Mack for making it happen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danpeck/sets/72157645497161431/

Nice photos Dan.  Looks like a fun trip.  Thanks for writing it up, Mack.

I was up there for the last two days (7/7-8). Didn't go all the way up 2nd Burroughs when I saw how dry things were (perhaps I should have). Found a good 400 ft. patch on the east face of 1st and lapped it 5 times. No snow down into the valley. Today I dropped a little gully off Soughdough ridge where the Burroughs trail starts the long traverse. Good steep snow for ~300 ft. vertical, short carry across talus, then another 400 vert. to the valley floor. I did it again, but the bugs found me on the climb and the lack of breeze had me sweating like a pig so I headed for the house.

Reply to this TR

july-3-2014-burroughs-mountain
telemack
2014-07-03 21:22:48