Home > Trip Reports > June 26, 2014, Mt. Adams, NWFNR

June 26, 2014, Mt. Adams, NWFNR

6/26/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Troy on 6/27/14 8:28am
I was aiming for the NW ridge but visibility was poor high up on the mountain so I diverted to the Northwest Face of the North Ridge.  Fun ski.  Rock fall debris was collected in snow to the left and right sides but I did not see much rock at all down the middle.  Near the bottom of this run, it was easy to initiate very small wet slides/sluff.  While climbing, boot penetration ranged from toe to ankle depth.

Trail 113 was frustrating.  Next time I'll go earlier when skiing is better or later when the trail melts out up to the big snowfields.  On Wednesday/Thursday there didn't seem to be a good option.  Approach shoes sunk into the snow patches.  Ski boots were uncomfortable on dirt patches.  Skinning/skiing involved lots of transitioning.  On the way in, I put on skis at about 5200' elevation.  On the way out, took skis off at 5800'.

The North Face of the Northwest Ridge looks really impressive in person.  Amazing that many have had successful trips on a run that seems so unforgiving.  I'll be waiting on the NFNWR until I can go with a team of highly experienced experts.

More pictures here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/111955726492601080503/albums/6029740917999043041?authkey=CK2_5pPd-_y9QQ
Sounds like you skied the Big Tuna. Thanks for the info!

Way to get in there!

Curious:  how does trail 112 look?  As 'crow flys', it appears shorter but of course, does it really get you to where you want to go?

That "diamond" snowfield looks sweet?  Did you have any problems staying on the trail or did you just gps it out etc..  Heard there are some nasty swamps that one can easily slop into if off route exiting...

How were the mosquitoes?  They are starting to gear up for a drilling fest down here in C. Oregon..

I was planning on trying trail 112 but the Forest Service Ranger said the road was still snowed in.  I don't know if 112 gets you high enough to allow for a continuous ski.  If it does, please let me know.

The way out was tricky.  At camp there was no visibility beyond the tips of my skis so I was using GPS and map/compass.  Staying on or near the trail while it was covered in snow was tough.  Almost skied into a lake in the fog but no swamp issues.  It helped to have a GPS route pre-entered before the trip.

Mosquitoes were really bad at the trail head.  Best to have your gear ready to go so you can jump out of the car and get going.  Once moving the bugs weren't a problem, maybe because of the rain and wind.

Be safe, have fun, and let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Love the "Big Tuna" name!

Note to others: Big Tuna is not a good option to gain the N ridge, unless you want to climb steep choss...

Reply to this TR

june-26-2014-mt-adams-nwfnr
Troy
2014-06-27 15:28:16