Home > Trip Reports > June 25, 2014, Interglacier laps

June 25, 2014, Interglacier laps

6/25/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by sipski3 on 6/27/14 5:21am
The weather forecast wasn't looking great for Wed, but I'm on a mission to get 50k vert this month (with a full time job) and needed a big day to help get me closer to my goal. I wanted somewhere familiar in case the weather forecast was right, so I decided on Interglacier.

To my surprise, I woke to sunshine and it stayed that way the entire way to Rainier! The hike went quick up to glacier basin where I transitioned to ski boots and started skinning.

Conditions were perfect for skinning and made it to Steamboat prow by 12:30. I was the only one on the entire Interglacier! Woohoo for mid week ski days!! The upper section was little soft, but firmed up where the slope faces a little more north. I never sunk more than 1-2 inches and had some really fun turns down to about 7100ft where it started to get sticky. I switched back over to skins and headed up for a second lap.

At this point some high clouds rolled in that helped keep the snow from baking too much in the sun and the skinning was again great all the way to the prow. I ran into a couple of climbing rangers and two skiers that had come from the summit (skied the Emmons).

It was about 3pm, clouds were rolling in and building quickly. I didn't hang around for long before heading back down. Turns were even sweeter the second lap and the snow was still great until around 7,000ft.

I heard a few rumbles of thunder on the hike down and made it back to my car right as it started pouring rain. It was one of the best days I've had this June and by far the best conditions I've experienced on the Interglacier this year!

Two laps got me 8100 vert of climbing and brought my total up to 47,300ft for June. Other trips this month have included a lot of TRs on here (Mt Rainier Emmons climb, Winthrop ski with Jonn-E and Daver, Mt Baker with kciari, Mix up peak with ND, frankie and kciari, and Mt Adams with kciari and frankie). It's been an awesome month so far, thanks guys!

Reply to this TR

june-25-2014-interglacier-laps
sipski3
2014-06-27 12:21:21