Home > Trip Reports > June 21-23, 2014, NCNP, Cascade Pass wandering

June 21-23, 2014, NCNP, Cascade Pass wandering

6/21/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Kenji on 6/25/14 6:54am
David and I had a plan to spend a few nights somewhere interesting, and eventually decided on Middle Cascade Glacier from the bottom via MC trail.  A little bit of research on the trail condition could have saved our day(s), but we tried it anyway.  It's an easy hike to a junction for Middle and South Cascade River trails.  After going left for 50 yard, we quickly lost it and started on our own though it turned out not to matter much anyway.  Underbrush was not that dense, but the ground was very hard for travel on loose fallen trees and loose boulders networked together by numerous thorny vines.  After spending 3 hours for less than 2 miles, we just turned around though going back down wasn't any easier.  It was easily one of the toughest hikes I've ever done, of course having a overnight_ski gear didn't help...oversized vertically and horizontally.  The story seems to be it hasn't been maintained since the big forest fire years ago (2005?).  There were some trail markers, but they were like teasers.

Anyway, we were exhausted and just headed up to the Cascade Pass TH for the night.  The sky was clear and stars were gorgeous.  Sunday we headed up the Pass thinking we might approach the MC glacier via the Ptarmigan route. This also failed by missing the entrance to the summer trail.  It was over 30 years ago when I did the traverse.  Eventually we settled on just camping out on a bench  at the East end of the Pelton Basin.  It is a nice spot to camp and we had a great Sunset to watch. Next we simply skied up/down Yawing and the lower S glaciers, admiring those steep tracks off Trapper Mtn.

We did not get much skiing for the 3 days, but had an interesting and laid-back weekend nonetheless.  Some non-skiing photos bellow, and more http://kenjikawai.smugmug.com/2014-06-22-Cascade-Pass/
where is David?

Milkyway over the Pass:

ghosty clouds:

firey sunset over the Pass:

Sahale/Buckner:

Pelton/Magic col:

You guys crack me up!  Love the good attitude ... photos are great... a good story... thanks for sharing

Yep, great photos.

Thanks for the pic of your safari from the day before; as you you had mentioned it when we talked Saturday AM. Thanks for the trip report. Looked pretty sweet!

Winning. In a way. That I don't wanna win. But probably will anyway in the near future.

Your pictures are a visual treat as usual, thanks.

Thanks for the lovely shots. Will be featured on my FB page tomorrow. Of course credit given.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shot-8-Freeride-Team/561702940520155

Reply to this TR

june-21-23-2014-ncnp-cascade-pass-wandering
Kenji
2014-06-25 13:54:07