Home > Trip Reports > June 22, Sunrise: tour to Fremont summit

June 22, Sunrise: tour to Fremont summit

6/22/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jim Oker on 6/23/14 3:08am
Skip has been eyeing more or less this route since we were nearby right after opening 2 years ago. We were pleased to be able to ski right from the bumper with only a short walk on flat trail up by the ridge crest to get to where we dropped over onto the back side on nice fast corn. We farted around a bit figuring out how best to drop into the drainage that feeds Forest Lake, soon enough realizing that we could just walk a few quick switchbacks of the summer trail down the steep dry hillside to snow and then get on a nice mostly-descending traverse way over and around the shoulder of Fremont that points toward Forest Lake, where we skinned up again. We switched to booting for the final pitch to the peak, and were able to stay on snow to w/in about a minute of rock-walking to the true summit. What a great spot. And there was no one to be seen anywhere back there - not even hikers heading out the lookout, though we did later meet a few who had been out there around the same time. And from our perch on Fremont, it appeared to us that this was one of the more continuous stretches of snow to be found in the area, though perhaps you could still mostly stay on snow from First to Third Burroughs by staying up on the ridge crest. Pretty much dry trail below from Frozen Lake to at least the drop into Bezerkely Park (though we could not quite tell what it looked like below that first drop toward the park).

More fast fun corn back down to where we turned right, following a little closer to the path of the summer trail to get back up to the couple of dry switchbacks, then some more skinning and booting to the final ridge crest, another brief flat trail walk, and a quick few turns and then shussing the deeply suncupped deep mush back to the bumper.

Though we got a few nice lines of very fun turns, this was more of a tour for travel sort of a day, and I never tire of the joy of those fast long descending traverses that take me rapidly across whole basins. Other than a few other skiers who shared our first descent, we didn't see anyone else over on the back side all day. And not even that many sneaker-clad hikers negotiating the snow-and-trail on the front side wondering at our skis. Perhaps the surprise weekend opening kept the crowds down a bit?

Here's a rough take on our route out to the peak:
http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDA3NvECQw

May post a few photos later.

I would expect this route to have a lot more dry stretches next weekend, given some bits of rock garden skiing we had to do, particularly as we skirted around that ridge coming down NE off Fremont.
Nice, insightful write-up, appreciate the Hillmap too.

Yes the route we called "packtrail line" (on USGS) is near to the Huckleberry trail.
We were very lucky to have dry trail assistance at the 0.90-0.98 mile marks-    
A very steep drop!

Here's a link to pics and vids!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11723786@N06/sets/72157645318975461/

Finally processed and uploaded a few pics:

Digging the gaiters, what kind are they?

We'll have to ask our pal Paul, who I don't think frequents the site. I think they're just some old random blue pair of hiking gaiters w/o the string that goes around the arch of the foot to hold them down. I believe Skip, in the rear of the parking lot photo, has termigaiters on.

author=kamtron link=topic=31966.msg134513#msg134513 date=1403726508]

My apologies for being delayed in responding.... the gaiters are from Colorado, there are no identifying labels on them, and they are simple in design - just Velcro closure top to bottom, no additional fasteners or strings etc... Happy Solstice skiing!

author=Jim Oker link=topic=31966.msg134453#msg134453 date=1403546919">
Skip has been eyeing more or less this route since we were nearby right after opening 2 years ago. We were pleased to be able to ski right from the bumper with only a short walk on flat trail up by the ridge crest to get to where we dropped over onto the back side on nice fast corn. We farted around a bit figuring out how best to drop into the drainage that feeds Forest Lake, soon enough realizing that we could just walk a few quick switchbacks of the summer trail down the steep dry hillside to snow and then get on a nice mostly-descending traverse way over and around the shoulder of Fremont that points toward Forest Lake, where we skinned up again. We switched to booting for the final pitch to the peak, and were able to stay on snow to w/in about a minute of rock-walking to the true summit. What a great spot. And there was no one to be seen anywhere back there - not even hikers heading out the lookout, though we did later meet a few who had been out there around the same time. And from our perch on Fremont, it appeared to us that this was one of the more continuous stretches of snow to be found in the area, though perhaps you could still mostly stay on snow from First to Third Burroughs by staying up on the ridge crest. Pretty much dry trail below from Frozen Lake to at least the drop into Bezerkely Park (though we could not quite tell what it looked like below that first drop toward the park).

More fast fun corn back down to where we turned right, following a little closer to the path of the summer trail to get back up to the couple of dry switchbacks, then some more skinning and booting to the final ridge crest, another brief flat trail walk, and a quick few turns and then shussing the deeply suncupped deep mush back to the bumper.

Though we got a few nice lines of very fun turns, this was more of a tour for travel sort of a day, and I never tire of the joy of those fast long descending traverses that take me rapidly across whole basins. Other than a few other skiers who shared our first descent, we didn't see anyone else over on the back side all day. And not even that many sneaker-clad hikers negotiating the snow-and-trail on the front side wondering at our skis. Perhaps the surprise weekend opening kept the crowds down a bit?

Here's a rough take on our route out to the peak:
http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDA3NvECQw

May post a few photos later.

I would expect this route to have a lot more dry stretches next weekend, given some bits of rock garden skiing we had to do, particularly as we skirted around that ridge coming down NE off Fremont.

And it was especially INSPIRING to encounter an 83 year-old who skied down the first couloir with us.... almost as inspiring as Silas!  8-)

author=kamtron link=topic=31966.msg134513#msg134513 date=1403726508]

Further investigation revealed that there was a hidden label in the depths of the blue gaiters: "Powderline: Made in the USA" .... !

Thanks Core.  I HOPE I am skiing couloirs when I am 83.  Frank Neumann (73) and Wolfgang Stefan (80) are my inspirations, but maybe sometime I will also spot the 83 yr old out there!  And of course there is Tom Szwedko (68) with his 35 year anniversary (420 months) of TAY coming up in September 2014.

But will you still be skiing your age at 83, Silas?  :D

(to those who may wonder, that would mean touring 8,300 vertical feet)

Didn't ask the guy's name, but that 83 year old looked great and skied well! Definitely an inspiration.

Reply to this TR

june-22-sunrise-tour-to-fremont-summit
Jim Oker
2014-06-23 10:08:39