Home > Trip Reports > June 21, 2014, Silver slopes

June 21, 2014, Silver slopes

6/21/14
Posted by silaswild on 6/21/14 3:59pm
Despite the early snow melt this year, Silver again provided good 1-2" corn mush from 5200'-4400' on the solstice.  As usual old and new friends showed up, and Mother Nature gave us blue skies, light breeze, and a beautiful sunset.  A variety of food and drink was available, fireworks were seen, and the crowd ranged from age 10-65.  Some of Trooper dog's remains were spread, one of his favorite haunts.

The big rigs were able to drive to upper Windy Acres, while the cars lacked clearance and had to stop about a 10 minute walk lower, still far beyond Windy Pass.  From the end of the road, there was a nice brush free path to the high point of the winter cross country groomed trails, then open forest and talus to the lower north basin at 4400'. From there it was skinnable, except for a short carry around 4600'.  After enjoying snacks, Tim's guitar music, and the fine views, we skied out the NE gully down to the stone semi-shelter at 4300', and hiked back to the cars just before dark. 

https://vimeo.com/98842037
Tia and I hit Silver on Sunday, my CRV reaching the top of "Windy Acres" without complaint -- the slopes were enjoyably smooth -- all suncup bumpiness mysteriously smoothed out -- though we did encounter some proto-moguls in the chute off the knob that leads to the stone shelter.

Looks like a good time. Bummed I missed out this trip around the sun, but I was certainly there "in spirits" ;D

things were looking dismal there for a minute... what with a broken hydraulic lifter stuck in the side of my van's engine threatening to keep me in the city all weekend.  but with some good luck and a bit of modification to a rented pilot bearing puller, i was able to hammer out the stuck part and get my van running around 1am saturday morning!

within a few hours, i had the family packed up and we were on our way to the mountains!

we arrived early enough to take a hike up mt catherine in the afternoon sun.

there was still time to make it back to the van, grab my board, and dash to the top of silver to join the sunset party.

no pics of the ride down, but the corn was still in great shape, and thanks to zack i had a roman candle to light my way through the twilight forest!  it was a fun night around the campfire and i was stoked to hear that there was some pond skimming on tap for the next day.

but not before some more dirt road driving...

the hike up to lake lillian was quite pleasant, with waterfalls going nuts on either side of the trail.  the weather was beautiful, the company was good, and the water was cold.  my ego even survived a splash in the lake and being beaten up (and down) the trail by a pair of elementary school girls.

happy summer, everyone, and thanks for letting a token snowboarder come along!

Reply to this TR

june-21-2014-silver-slopes
silaswild
2014-06-21 22:59:00