Home > Trip Reports > May 31, 2014, - Watson Traverse, 75 Anniversary

May 31, 2014, - Watson Traverse, 75 Anniversary

5/31/14
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 6/18/14 12:40pm

On May 31, 2014, four friends and I skied the Watson Traverse on Mount Baker to commemorate the 75th anniversary of this route.

I carried a video camera and recreated scenes from Dwight Watson's 1939 movie, which I helped preserve a few years ago.

The reenactment film provides a "then and now" look at the trip and a celebration of 75 years of Cascade ski mountaineering.

I've posted the film on my existing web page describing the Watson Traverse. Look for it at the bottom of this page:

http://alpenglow.org/skiing/baker-2004/index.html

Enjoy!

Dwight Watson (L) and Andy Hennig shake hands atop Mount Baker during the first summit ski traverse in May 1939.

Looks good!

Interesting to see the 75 year differences around Baker in the Watson footage. Current conditions of the Colfax glacier for example seem to stack up pretty well to 1939 conditions.

The gps segment is funny...

Liked the accompanying music too... Isarwinkler Landler... if you ever happen to find yourself in Munich in the Summertime they'd surely play this on an Isar-Flossfahrt. Bring a swimsuit on a hot day. Or just jump in naked like a true german.

btw
the vid doesn't play in firefox (works fine in other browsers), comes up "no video with supported format and MIME type found" (lagging in the html5 support apparently)
could add this:
AddType video/webm .webm
AddType video/mp4 .mp4

to the .htaccess file on the server

Thanks Stefan! This is the first video I've ever shot and it was fun to edit it.

author=cumulus link=topic=31939.msg134380#msg134380 date=1403273260]
btw
the vid doesn't play in firefox (works fine in other browsers), comes up "no video with supported format and MIME type found" (lagging in the html5 support apparently)
could add this:
AddType video/webm .webm
AddType video/mp4 .mp4

to the .htaccess file on the server

Hmm, that's interesting. I'm using Firefox 30.0 on a Windows machine and it is running the video okay.

When I published clips of Mountaineer films a few years ago, I created both Ogg/Theora files (.ogv) and .mp4 files. I created only an .mp4 file this time. Maybe I should use Firefogg and create an .ogv file as well. I'm not really an expert at this stuff.

I've never played with the .htaccess file. I'll look into that as well.

Thanks again!

I use Firefox also and had to disable the addon "Image and Flash Blocker". Worked fine afterwards and was fun to watch. Thanks Lowell.

Great video and nice timing on this anniversary.  I like the then and now of map vs iphone navigation and summit handshakes!

FYI, I had to d/l the video as it wouldn't play in Chrome; stalled after 3 seconds.

Reply to this TR

may-31-2014-watson-traverse-75-anniversary
Lowell_Skoog
2014-06-18 19:40:04