Home > Trip Reports > June 8,9,10, 2014, Clark Mountain

June 8,9,10, 2014, Clark Mountain

6/8/14
Posted by jtack on 6/12/14 4:43am
With all talk about reasons to post, let me say in advance, this is one is about sharing the fun of the trip, maybe a little news about route conditions, and hopefully a few good pictures of a fantastic place, but there will likely be drivel. 

There are no shortage of great trips in the Cascades, but this is one that has been on my to do list for awhile, and last week's weather looked like it would fit the bill.  Mike, and his friend Brian were game to go.  I had been as far as Bolder Pass via the White river trail once in the summer time, so I had some idea of that portion of the trip.  When you travel with two fast travelers like Mike and Brian the only way to keep up is get in front, and block the way! One of the obvious observations of the trip was what, seemed to us like a serious avalanche cycle in this area. 

The mount up. (0845)

First avalanche crossing.

Looks like Styrofoam, but its solid granite 

The trail head is low ~2400 and its darn near flat all the way to the turn off at Bolder Creek, after that it's all up, not a bad grade, but it is ~2600 to 6200 at the pass.  We hit our first snow as we crossed Bolder Creek in the upper basin.  We did not skin this part, but in hind sight it may have been the way to go, we stayed with the trail as best we could and booted it.

Hard not to enjoy these places.

Monster avalanche tracks all the way up the valley, many with mature timber that had been trimmed this spring.

We made the saddle about 1600 and there was plenty of snow for skiing, and Mike had to get a turn.

We burrowed down in the sparse patches of dry ground set up camp, and made dinner. 

Where did my spoon go?

It rained in the night and we were not as well defended as we might have been, there was some wet gear.  Monday dawned clear and beautiful, and we were on our way by 0800.

Just skiing out of the pass in route to Clark it is one great view after the other, the Napeequa and Little Giant, High Pass stretching out to the north.

As we skied around the corner from Bolder pass, and had our first look at the Clark Glacier, it quickly becomes clear there is plenty of reason for caution,  it's a stunning view.

With me in front, there is always time for eating.

Goat hair in the spring!

It felt steep.

Those hardy Cadastral surveyors.

Our leisurely pace came with a penalty, soft sluffy snow, and some tense moments, but thanks to good partners and careful travel it all went well.

Across the glacier.

Fun turns all the way to camp.

Back to camp by 1630, a late start in the morning (1030) to let the snow soften, skied all the way to the timber in the upper basin and back to the car by 1600.

Thanks for the great write-up, Jamie.  That was a special trip.  Skiing was great, views were incredible, and the company was top shelf.  The pace was pretty good too!

Whoa!! Hold on now!  You didn't J-Tack your skis up to Boulder Pass, but rather stooped to strapping them to your pack like a wuss?!  Jamie....

That aside, awesome trip!  I would almost be jealous if I had even an inkling to ski still.

Enjoyable write--up and pics!  Thanks!

It's true John, wuss is exactly right word!

Nice write-up and pics.

Two years ago in July, over a three day stretch, while climbing Clark I kept asking myself, "who in their right mind would drag their skis this far into the Cascades...?"

Now, I know.  ;D

Nice Work Gentlemen!

Would I could have been with ye… great adventure!  Keep me on the list for your crazy long adventures.

And I see a set of TX pros, another tele skier?

Reply to this TR

june-8-9-10-2014-clark-mountain
jtack
2014-06-12 11:43:19