Home > Trip Reports > June 3, 2014, Mt. Fuji, Japan

June 3, 2014, Mt. Fuji, Japan

6/3/14
Posted by Atraslin on 6/11/14 10:44am
We've been trying to get to Japan all season. Finally made the move late spring. No neck deep winter pow conditions, but excellent ski touring and peak bagging with the sunny weather.

Stoked to get some beta from our friend Fujisan in Hakuba and make a half day climb up the NE face and up to the true summit.

Even with the 9:30 am alpine bus start, we had great skiing on the volcano. Similar in elevation to Mt. Adams, with an hour walk to the snowline. The weather held, barely with clouds hovering all day. Not so much for the return bus at 3:30pm. Tried hitch hiking off the mountain, with not much luck. We were are able to flag down an expensive taxi ride off the mountain with two Chinese students and split the fare.

Well worth the ski and cultural experience of this famous mountain.

Skiers: Andy Traslin, Mike Traslin

Wow.  Love it.  You guys are inspiring.

Thanks for sharing..... I spotted Mt Fuji from the bus 10 or so days earlier on our way to the Japanese Alps. We Figured if we get lucky enough we could get a Mt Fuji weather window... before we flew back home. Fun spot to get month 93 turns all year.

Thanks for the report, my daughter lives there (Japan) and we have skied on Hokkaido, and tried to make something work on  Fuji, but train and bus logistics defeated us.  What a great ski, glad you posted a report. thanks

I enjoyed seeing the photos on hipstergram, looks like some good corn!

Yeah, Traslin!

Cool!  Couldn't imagine taking a bus to ski a cascade volcano.

Thanks to all.

Yes riding the public transit  with all your gear makes life a little more interesting.

Would be great to get over to Hoikkaido next time.

A short vid from the trip.

http://youtu.be/FnJYVZ_mMi8

Reply to this TR

june-3-2014-mt-fuji-japan
Atraslin
2014-06-11 17:44:39