Home > Trip Reports > June 7-8 Baker via Squak

June 7-8 Baker via Squak

6/7/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by ErikT on 6/10/14 2:07pm
Along with the throngs of climbers on foot, we (myself, my wife Nicole, Garrettww and his gf Katie and her cocker spaniel!) headed for Mt Baker's south side. We actually camped in isolation for the most part in the ridges below Crag View. After having taken the trail directly up through the woods this is simply where we popped out and was convenient... I'd suggest gaining the alpine via the Easton route and then traversing back over to the Squak from here on out...

Camp was excellent - no wind all night, comfortable temps... pleasant night to spend out on the mountain. For the second time now my camera's timelapse has captured an aurora which I slept through. The climbers seen in the video had quite a show though (Skagit alipne climb and WAC teams).

View from camp

Nicole approaching camp

Up high above the clouds (for now)

Some fun solar features above the crater area

author=Norseman link=topic=31901.msg134148#msg134148 date=1402492328]
Really enjoyed the time lapse. Nice work!

Seconded. Killer capture!

Wow, excellent time lapse! What camera were you using? Does it have a time lapse function built in or did you use an attachment? Fresh battery?

How far do you have to hike to reach snow and start skinning for the easton glacier route?

Thanks!

love the time lapse photo

What a gorgeous aurora! I really enjoyed your timelapse, too. Thank you for reminding me to watch out for the elusive auroras in the night sky and to experiment with timelapses.

It was really nice to meet you all on the mountain! I will post some pics later tonight.

I'm sure others who actually went up the Easton can confirm my guess here, but I'd think that way would have snowcover the whole way. We veered off onto the Scott paul trail once at the TH. As of last weekend you could park about a 10 minute walk from the TH. The Easton approach, from what I understand, is more in the open and has a deeper snowpack than the trail that switches up through the woods.

I use a Canon 60D. It has built-in timelapse function if you hack the firmware and install magic lantern: http://www.magiclantern.fm/. I am not terribly computer savvy and this was easy to do- they have good instructions on that site. Unfortunately only available for certain Canon models. Most cameras have something built in, or a remote you can attach to it.  And yeah, fresh battery right when I go to bed. 60D has some big batteries which helps a lot - was thinking of switching to sony mirrorless recently, but they have point and shoot sized batteries. I've only had the battery die when in colder conditions (summit of South Sister over Memorial Day the camera rimed over during the night...oops!)

Very nice aurora capture!  Great meeting you all on the mountain.

-the guy Radka got her last name from

Love the time-lapse. I enjoy making those. How many shots is that one?

Here are a few pics from our camera:

Some cloud action:

Our group on the summit:

Halo and a sundog:

Skiing back to our camp below:

Nice shots Radka! The clouds did provide some moody lighting throughout the day.

the timelapse has roughly 825 frames... assembled at 15fps... was surprised it isn't choppier at the low frame rate...24 or 30 fps is more typical.

Reply to this TR

june-7-8-baker-via-squak
ErikT
2014-06-10 21:07:52