telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/23/17, 01:36 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 7/8th, Mt Baker Easton - Car2Car x2
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 7/8th, Mt Baker Easton - Car2Car x2  (Read 2812 times)
BrianT

June 7/8th, Mt Baker Easton - Car2Car x2
« on: 06/10/14, 12:30 PM »

I was originally wanting to do Furher Finger this weekend, but I could not find a partner for something that large. So, I sent out a few feelers for doing Baker car2car.  Danny could only go Sunday so I pinged Jake and we locked in on Sunday. A day later, Loren asked me if I wanted to go up Saturday to Baker, so having already plans for being up there, I agreed and the thought of a 2x car2car came up.

Saturday morning around 3am, Loren and I left Issaquah, met up at the trail head and were on the trail by 6:15am.  We took our first break about 2 hours later at 4,000vert up from the trail head and ate some food and relaxed a bit. We then pushed to the crater for our next semi-break and transition to crampons. After a hike up the Headwall, we got to the summit with a up time of 5 and a half hours.  We took a few pics and ate some food before we headed down. The trip down was met with some of the best corn I've ever skied.

We got back to our car around 7-7.5 hours Round Trip and had a few beers to celebrate. After 15-20 minutes Jake arrived and joined in.  We then met 2 climbers with double ice axes strapped to them that came down and asked if they could hitch a ride back as they 'accidentally' went down the wrong side of the mountain.  Since Loren was leaving, he was a good citizen and gave them a ride to the closest town.

Video from the trip: https://vimeo.com/97852125

The next day, I woke up at 3am with Jake and Danny and we were on the trail by 4:15am.  We went a bit slower this day, but we made the summit around 3:30pm.  The ski down was craptacular as it was all slush and whiteout for about 3,000 vertical.

Trail notes: The trail from the lot was starting to melt out fast, going up through the creek won't be in to much longer and will need to transition to the switch backs soon.  The Easton Glacier itself was in great shape, Loren and I opted to not take any glacier gear and we found no issues with any crack crossings (as of Sunday, nothing more than a 6 inches)

Few records for me set:
-Most vert in a day: 7600 (had to up climb on day 2 to look for something)
-Most vert in two days (15100)
-First ski from the true summit of a volcano
-First climb of baker to the summit
-Most continuous skiing

As far as trips go, this was probably one of the most fun ones I've ever had. Attitudes from all climbers were great, and we all enjoyed ourselves.
Snoqualmonix

Re: June 7/8th, Mt Baker Easton - Car2Car x2
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/14, 02:21 PM »

Strong work & great attitude, congrats!

-----------------
"Point your tips and be brave"

If someone skis in the Cascades and doesn't post on the internet, did it even happen?
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.