telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/17/17, 06:55 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2014 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 8, Mt Hood, west crater rim
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 8, Mt Hood, west crater rim  (Read 2747 times)
harg
5Member

June 8, Mt Hood, west crater rim
« on: 06/10/14, 12:20 PM »

I've always liked the west crater rim line; it's not particularly long and oddly hard to get the snow right, but i think it has a few of the steeper turns on the mtn, which is always fun. traversed north from the top of old chute. after a few sketchy steps along the ridge, i found a nice flat spot with awesome views of the east side. threw on the skis, side slipped some frozen crap on the big north facing slope that comes up from leuthold/sandy, and dropped in to the top section of w. crater rim at about 11:15am. the first section was smooth and good, but a little firmer than I'd hoped. probably needed another 30-60mins of sun to ripen, but the wife might have been over-ripenned had i waited. traversed over toward castle crags and skied the bottom section on the far skiers right of that slope. really fun turns in there, but the snow has seen better days and seemed about a week from being done for the year. all in all, it was a really fun ski, but it sounds like by far the best remaining turns on Hood are on the SE and E side.
as a bonus, crater rock to the top of palmer was as good as I've ever gotten it and the resort had rippin snow. so, if you're looking to do a blue square 'intro to spring Mt Hood skiing' session, now is the time. I was feeling so good after some big GS turns that i decided to drop into the pipe, busted a few 540s to show the kids how its done, then called it a day*.
*this part may have only happened in my head.
rlsg

Re: June 8, Mt Hood, west crater rim
« Reply #1 on: 06/10/14, 07:12 PM »

Any idea how Leuthold"s might be?  Thanks for the tr...it is another one of the cool spots on the hood.
rlsg

« Reply #2 on: 06/10/14, 08:49 PM »

I'm sounding like a worn out mp3 (record in my case...) however you were pretty close...
harg
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 06/12/14, 08:59 AM »

I'm sounding like a worn out mp3 (record in my case...) however you were pretty close...

i'm still not sure, although general snow conditions in the crater were definitely worse than on wy'east, newton, and what i've heard of cooper spur. i think there was a trip report on this forum a week or two ago from someone who was going to climb leuthold, but ended up climbing the standard route because they 'heard it was in bad shape'. i don't know what that means tho; too firm, too soft, big crack, rock fall...?
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.