Home > Trip Reports > June 7, 2014, Mt. Adams, SW Chutes

June 7, 2014, Mt. Adams, SW Chutes

6/7/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by heinzsd on 6/9/14 6:49am
Upon Request,

Much to my chagrin, A group of 4 of us left the cars at 4:30.  You can drive to the parking lot, though the lot is still snow covered. The trail becomes skinnable about 1/4-1/2 mile in. We made fast time and veered off the winter route to the summer route.  With the hundreds of folks on the mountain we were the only ones taking the summer route.  The only bootpack up to the 1st ridge was from a hooved creature that laid down a nice track and then put in some sweet S turns before dropping the cornice. 

While the 4:30 start wasn't pleasant, it was really nice to move during the cooler part of the day and stay in the shade.  2 of the folks went on the summit so the other 2 of us had a few hours of napping at the lunch counter and below piker peaks waiting for the sun to soften the chutes.  The wind was howling so the top wasn't terribly pleasant, but just below it was nice.

We dropped into the chutes at around 12 to 3500' of perfect smooth fast and steep corn.  We stuck to the more south facing aspect to maximize the pitch and softness.  Probably the best single fall line corn run I have ever had.  Tried to GS turn the chute in a single shot but the legs wanted nothing to do with it.

at the bottom we caught the out track and skinned for about 20 minutes before skiing back to the trail.

Skiing was too good to stop for the Photo Ops
author=heinzsd link=topic=31890.msg134081#msg134081 date=1402350585]
Skiing was too good to stop for the Photo Ops

I love this, it's how I feel every powder day! This is how we know who the true skiers are at heart. It's about the turns, not the media.

Reply to this TR

june-7-2014-mt-adams-sw-chutes
heinzsd
2014-06-09 13:49:45