Home > Trip Reports > May 30, 2014, Wy'East Face

May 30, 2014, Wy'East Face

5/30/14
Posted by hophead on 6/9/14 6:09am
Reading Trip Reports today and jonesing for more turns close to PDX, I decided to post a TR for our venture up the Wy'East Face on 5/30.

We began hiking from Timberline Lodge at 6:30am to approx 7200' for a cross into Upper White River.  Hindsight confirms we dropped in (and exited) at the only location without a 10'+ cornice.  No problems crossing Landing Zone to gain the eastern ridge of White River.  Ski crampons would've been great however we began to boot once the skins would hold no more.

A long break for fuel and a call from the office saw us leave the saddle around 10:15 for our final ascent up the headwall.  We climbed with crampons for 100 minutes to 10,400' and were rewarded with a tremendous view of Illumination, the Hogsback, Hot Rocks and the summit.  5.5 hours total to reach 10,400' and an hour of bliss returning to the car.

The descent was the best spring conditions I've experienced on Hood in 15+ years.  Hero Turns all the way back to the Landing Zone for a final cross back up-and-over to Timberline. 

The exit was slushy and steep but we made it without incident.
Snow on the Face should last another week or two but full recommendation to hit it soon!

(I could not figure out how to upload more than 3 photos so let me know if you'd like to see more.)
More pictures!!!

Reply to this TR

may-30-2014-wy-east-face
hophead
2014-06-09 13:09:39