Home > Trip Reports > June 8, 2014, MRNP Van Trump Park solitude

June 8, 2014, MRNP Van Trump Park solitude

6/8/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by PS44 on 6/9/14 3:56am
Great day on our private stash guarded by a 2 mile hike on dirt trail from Christine to Comet Falls.  While patches and more or less continuous segments of trail were covered with snow well below Comet Falls, full coverage starts right now around the steep switchbacks next to the Comet Falls.  We skinned from about 5500' roughly following the summer trail - the snow coverage above there up to the meadows will last a few weeks at least, maybe less in the lower parts of the dense forest where the snow was dirty and covered with twigs and lichen.  Up from the meadows, we followed the ridge and then prominent left gully straight up topping at about 9800' (climbers left from the Turtle).  Skinning was easy with ski penetration anywhere from 1-3 inches but I was glad for one ski crampon which prevented side-slipping; I lost the second one during shenanigans in the woods but retrieved it on the way back. 

After a snack at 9800' and watching the parade of little dots near Pan point we skied down, first ~1000' vertical on hero corn and later on snow of more or less mushy consistence depending on pitch and aspect. 

Seen quite a few goat tracks but no skiers and only a few hikers below Comet Falls.  The sky was mostly blue but occasionally a puffy cloud rolled by.  Overall an amazing 2x6K day in this beautiful and infrequently visited place. Keep in mind there is at least 2 mile hike in before you decide to visit  :'(
Some of the best snow I have had in a while. Thanks for talking me into it Pavel.

Top knackers. I reckon #3: the sideways-slider with the brakes on is the $$ shot.
Great report.

author=Jake the Brit link=topic=31885.msg134111#msg134111 date=1402378762]
Top knackers. I reckon #3: the sideways-slider with the brakes on is the $$ shot.

Yep - Peter was enjoying the ride, hooting and hollering.

author=Jake the Brit link=topic=31885.msg134111#msg134111 date=1402378762]
Great report.

I think this might be a better $$ shot

Reply to this TR

june-8-2014-mrnp-van-trump-park-solitude
PS44
2014-06-09 10:56:15