Home > Trip Reports > June 7, 2014, Naches Peak, West side

June 7, 2014, Naches Peak, West side

6/7/14
WA Cascades East Slopes South
Posted by Zap on 6/7/14 10:28am
June 7, 2014 Naches Peak

Silas pulled up right after we arrived and will provide an update for the NE side of the peak.  He also has a great story about the female bikers. :)  Thanks for the muffins.

Jill and Rob and I got a 11am start. We climbed the west side and hoped the snow would be a bit stiff.  Not  so.  There was a lot of old avy debris that was soft and not too friendly.  We skied on some of the lower saddles which looked nice but were soft. We were a bit late - hmmm.  Plan €œB€ : head more  west/north up the slope with the trees.  Now this was a really nice slope with trees and nice steep (for me) lines and no one else skiing there. The lines are short but the snow is nice, and as long as you stop at the end of the line so you don't go over the drop and hit the road with a big entry.

It was nice to meet a couple of folks who skied Mt. Ruth on Friday.  The last time we met them was at Sunrise last year with Ron and the group.  I think the Silver Peak crew is moving into the Chinook terrain. :)
Great to see you out and about Zap and Jill, the skiing was so so but the girls were awesome!  I arrived at 9AM, drove up and down from Cayuse to Chinook a couple times searching for the birthday boy Marcus, and on one ascent passed three road cycling girls and told them there would be dulce de leche cupcakes at Chinook.  Unfortunately they made the top while I was chatting with folks east of the crest, but on return I found them descending at 35mph, the speed limit.  I passed them, stopped by Tipsoo view, and offered cupcakes and coffee, both were appreciated.  :)

Not finding Marcus and of course having no cell service, I headed up the NW ridge of Naches around 1030AM, and skied E, W, and N slopes with Rich and Jim.  It was 3-4" mush skiing, only a little sticky.  At 230PM, I fired up the grill thanks to Stephanie who had a spare gas cylinder I noticed as I chatted with her and Alex while they were preparing to skin Yakima Peak at 930AM.  Another couple were hiking back to Chinook so I asked them to ask if anyone there was Marcus; they found him and he drove down to let me know they were lunching on the east side, since they had dogs (banned in the NP.)    https://vimeo.com/97631041

Alex and Stephanie arrived, and three others joined us for wine, cheese, and kielbasa.  Sorry to miss Zap and Jill's return.  :(    Then it was off to Marcus birthday celebration picnic with Nate, Andy, Becky, Anastasia, the hounds, and two of Robie's southern friends.  We helped several visitors with directions to Paradise and Rainier views.   All in all a fun day, but not really about the skiing.  Should I post this in Random Tracks instead?

Awesome to hook up Silas, if only for the beverages, cupcakes and sausages.  Zap & Jill, sorry we missed you - great weather up there, with good enough skiing to scratch the itch before the party started.

Reply to this TR

june-7-2014-naches-peak-west-side
Zap
2014-06-07 17:28:13