Home > Trip Reports > June 5, 2014, Table Mtn, afterwork special

June 5, 2014, Table Mtn, afterwork special

6/5/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Jason4 on 6/6/14 12:35am
Just a brief report to share my secret stash...
I left work in Mt Vernon yesterday at 430 and headed straight up to Heather Meadows for a quick lap to try out some new boots.  I hit the trail with a coworker at about 620pm, made it to AP parking lot at about 730, finished the skin to the base of the chimney on Table and transitioned there.  We skied fall line left of the nose/prow/buttress direct down the face of Table to the lake.  We were back to the car just after 8pm with great alpenglow on Shuksan and the border peaks.

The snow was fast corn, maybe 4-6" deep.  Watch out for glide cracks and avoid open water.
Boy, you are reminding me of weekend winter powder trip trips back in the '90s when we'd go ski out toward Coleman Pinnacle and on our way back via Hermon Saddle, we'd see maybe just a few tracks on the face of Table above the lakes until getting over toward the blueberry chutes. And when "Secret Bowl" really did seem somewhat secret! (as if a very accessible north-facing bowl that's pretty obvious on a map, albeit with relatively short slopes, could stay secret forever).

Those were the good days. :D

I have fond memories of hiking to the top of Table with my dad circa 1994 and riding down to Bagley and snoeshoeing back to the parking lot and thinking it was a big day!  I remember tracks being pretty rare out there too.

Reply to this TR

june-5-2014-table-mtn-afterwork-special
Jason4
2014-06-06 07:35:25