Home > Trip Reports > May 31-June 1, Mt. Baker, Coleman-Deming

May 31-June 1, Mt. Baker, Coleman-Deming

5/31/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by radka on 6/4/14 5:57am
Just a quick report for the handful of people who haven't been to Baker recently - it seems that almost everybody actually was on Baker last weekend. In short, the skiing was really good!

Chris and I led this trip for students of the Glacier Travel and Rescue Course so that they  could get experience being on a real glacier.

We carried skis and overnight gear up to 4700 ft where we transitioned to skinning on continuous snow. We found a nice camp at 6200 ft with running water and great views.

Next morning we started with ski crampons and skinned to the bottom of the Roman Wall where we switched to boots and boot crampons. About 1000ft from the summit one of our students was stopped by bad foot pain so she and her partner returned to camp while the rest of us continued to the summit.

We started skiing down the Roman Wall a little after 2 pm which seemed to be just the right time with perfect corn. Skiing got a little sloppy above camp, but not too bad.

Overall, an excellent weekend in the mountains. This was also Chris' first overnight trip since his back injury last year - welcome back!

[img width=1000 height=684">http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Skiing/2014/Mt-Baker-Coleman-Deming-May-31-J/i-9w3gRWQ/0/XL/DSC_2248-Edit-XL.jpg" />

More pics here: http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Skiing/2014/Mt-Baker-Coleman-Deming-May-31-J
Great shots as usual Radka, esp. the stars!

Glad you had much better behaved skiers for your photos  ;)

Thanks for the wonderful pictures, I can't see those shots, but I keep trying.

Beautiful photos! The night shots kinda look like they have the glow of the northern lights

I really enjoy your photography

Did you approach via the summer trail? Or via Grouse creek? Thanks!

We approached via summer trail.  I don't think anyone goes up Grouse Creek post winter\early spring, but don't quote me on that!

Reply to this TR

may-31-june-1-mt-baker-coleman-deming
radka
2014-06-04 12:57:10