Home > Trip Reports > May 31 - June 2, 2014, Glacier Peak

May 31 - June 2, 2014, Glacier Peak

5/31/14
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by dahu on 6/3/14 2:22pm
With a leisurely departure from Seattle on Saturday along with a proper French weekend (read 3 days) and a nice forecast, Crystal and I headed to Glacier Peak via the Gerdine and Cool glaciers.  We found the North Fork Sauk River trail to be in excellent condition and swapped tennis shoes for ski gear at 4,500ft.  Skinned up to the col West of White Mountain on stable snow, down the drainage on the other side and up again to a nice flat €œplateau€ at 6300ft to set up camp.  Clouds had been building up and by 9pm, we were socked in€¦time to sleep!  Awoke to clear and blue skies Sunday. We skinned through the obvious benches, saddles, cols and gaps, crossed the 4 glaciers -White Chuck, Suiattle, Gerdine, Cool- before skinning up the middle gully to the summit to celebrate a birthday!  All glaciers were in excellent condition. Skied from the summit after 1pm to an amazing +3,500ft of beautiful corn with no one in sight then skinned back up saddles, col and gaps€¦After a couple more transitions, incredible views, and continuous solitude we were back at camp before gouter (tea time) to enjoy this fantastic wilderness.  Exited on Monday morning. 
A few more pictures...

Et encore quelques photos

...and I thought you were in your bedroom.

Awesome. Must explore that area sometime.

Thanks for the TR and great pics!

I've been wanting to ski Glacier Peak for 14 years. Amazing to finally do it on a bluebird day with perfect snow on my 30th birthday ;) nice to know there are still places so remote and peaceful.

Man - so jealous. What an amazing TR. Congrats on the summit! I have hope that eventually I will have a non sufferfest and get back there with some success.

Great photos, inspiring trip. Happy Birthday!

Thanks for all the nice comments  :) Glacier with skis should be still prime for a few more weeks!
Joyeux anniversaire Crystal!  From summit to trail :)

Thanks for the stoke!

We just made the trip 6/6-7. Conditions out there are certainly prime. Truly 'hero' corn from 10,000' down to 7,500'. Plus, you can still ski down to ~4700' from the col west of white mountain on the exit if you utilize a short "dry ski" to connect snow fingers leftover from avalanche debris.

Reply to this TR

may-31-june-2-2014-glacier-peak
dahu
2014-06-03 21:22:41