Home > Trip Reports > May 31, Mt Hood - Newton headwall

May 31, Mt Hood - Newton headwall

5/31/14
OR Mt Hood
Posted by harg on 6/3/14 12:11am
Did a quick ski of Newton headwall on saturday. Snow on Newton was awesome and there is still plenty of it. It skied as good as you could hope for. Wy'east looked really good as well and seemed like it had several more weeks left in it. sorry no pics, but you can probably imagine 1300 ft of perfect corn and a nice pitch.
Approach from Timberline was still decent. A few cracks open in White River, but easily navigable. Only issue was on the return, descending the steep-ish scree field on the west facing side of the canyon. It's passable, but not super comforting.
Thanks for the tr--might have to get up there for a look.  Not walking ten or twelve miles for some steeps IS attractive.  Have any idea if Leotholds has an ugly trench? or anything about conditions?  I hit it a few years ago with just a very shallow ditch (nothing snear about...) and so had just a super/lovely ski.  Thing is I keep hearing that most years the trench is pretty deep...

Thanks again...

I don't know how conditions are on Leuthold, but I'd love to because it's been on my eye. it seemed like coverage was really good for this time of year, which might mean smaller cracks, but it's hard to say what's happening on the opposite side of the hill (I would guess that cooper spur is skiing really good right now though). if you hear any intel on leuthold, let me know.

author=harg link=topic=31842.msg133993#msg133993 date=1402078709]
I don't know how conditions are on Leuthold, but I'd love to because it's been on my eye. it seemed like coverage was really good for this time of year, which might mean smaller cracks, but it's hard to say what's happening on the opposite side of the hill (I would guess that cooper spur is skiing really good right now though). if you hear any intel on leuthold, let me know.

You bet!

Reply to this TR

may-31-mt-hood-newton-headwall
harg
2014-06-03 07:11:23