Home > Trip Reports > May 30-June 1, 2014, Royal B: Johnson and Deception

May 30-June 1, 2014, Royal B: Johnson and Deception

5/30/14
Posted by tyreid on 6/2/14 6:20am
Skied the NW Couloir on Mt. Johnson in The Needles which caught my eye three years ago from the Hurricane Ridge to Deer Park Traverse. Going off a distant grainy photo I wasn't sure what to expect, but what I found was an amazing 1200' couloir that starts right next to the summit block. A couple short downclimbs were required but it shouldn't take much more snow for the line to go cleanly.

Also skied the NE Chute on Mt. Deception along with some other skiers from Seattle and Portland which was not in the best of shape. Monster garbage runnel right down the middle but possible to keep skis on top to bottom. Good turns for the rest of the face below the chute.

Royal Basin is melting out fast but there's still skiing to be had. Trail is relatively snow free to the Lower Meadow.

More
Way to go! Another one to knock off your bucket list!

Good find for that line on Johnson! I've never thought about descents on that side of the needles.

Distant grainy photos rule.

woah!  Nice work!

are the huge avy debris fields up to Royal Basin passable now?  Or does the trail work around them?  I tried to navigate those about three years ago and haven't been back since.

I have to say I'm very envious of your trip. 

That place is amazing... thanks for sharing, inspiring, and paving the way.

now that is impressive.

so your approach was to go to the col between Clark and Johnson, ski down into the basin NE side and then ascend the old glacier and then your couloir and then come down it?

Thanks you guys for the nice comments.

Dan- The approach is melted out to the Lower Meadow so travel is casual. Early season approaches can definitely be a battle when those paths are snow/debris covered.

Stefan- exactly.

That line on johnson has been burned in my brain ever since I was out near maiden/elk and saw it. Nice eye!

Nice trip Ty - thanks

Nice meeting you Tyler!
Fun weekend to take the skis for a walk.

Johnson looks awesome.

Reply to this TR

may-30-june-1-2014-royal-b-johnson-and-deception
tyreid
2014-06-02 13:20:06