Home > Forum > Crystal - 06/01/2014 - The Last day?

Crystal - 06/01/2014 - The Last day?

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Jun 2014 15:15 #222340 by ddk
One last to long wordy report - Lordy Lordy what a day(heard that comment from some body else today – should have copy righted those words of happiness that I use a lot) . Got lucky and #1’s mom agreed to give me a morning break – though it was kinda late for my hamster world. Drove up through the lowland mist to big blue bird see for (almost) ever (actually I don’t remember actually noticing the view above 10 ft in front of me (except for Rainier and the sad thing over there). Jumped into the 6 spot in a bucket sometime before 9am in front of a lot of folks that had to ride with some one else (I kinda like being single every once in a while in lift lines, speeds up the process). Jumped into GV bowl – and my oh my was it soft already. After the first wake up run, it was pretty much hamster in a treadmill type of day. Never went more than a 100 yds from GV chair line, Grubstake Trees, Grubstake chair line (showtime – talked to a very nice very good lady bump skier, but never managed to drag her into GV chair line). Lots of fun folks, lots of hardcore’s and a lot of extra happy folks. Lift line late morning was probably maybe 3 to 5, depending on your European lift line etiquette Since I was running solo, it was blow into the middle of the pack and start being an something or other looking for a double or triple – worked pretty good. Maybe lots of folks put up with me cause of the Hawaii shirt – some nice outfits on the mountain, some real retro stuff, nice smiles, happy folks….and oh by the way the bump skiing was big and soft and fun and go anywhere awesome!!!!! (Never supposed to use multiple exclamation points I hear). Fun Fun Fun. Could have done more, but lucky my time was up just as some of the flatter spots in the Valley were getting stickier and slower. Best run, well almost my only run, was Grubstake GV chair line, with another nice set of bumps down towards the bottom… Great way to end the season. (one more weekend Xtal management? Plenty of snow still in the valley) Glad I got second and third opening, plus what looks like the last day!

Other – no clue about food or soup at the top and the bottom is even worse (gotta say crystal is not working the folks that like to spend money of food, or the inbetween season tourists). Parking in the A lot was pretty full when I left. Still folks walking up and driving up with skis and boards. 410 patching looks to be in full swing during the week, early section is nicer to my bad shocks, traffic on a weekend is in full tourist mode…ugh! Last report for a while – till we hopefully do Timberline…so enjoy the break. #1 one told me to say hi for her – Hi!
Have a great summer!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
01 Jun 2014 20:04 #222346 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Crystal - 06/01/2014 - The Last day?
alpental skisters tore that place up today then for good measure began the parade which was pond skin.
yeah you read that right, pond skim. the bottom of snorting elk decided to open a gash of gorgeous blue at 1:00, a large herd of alpentalics penetrated the opening creating a nice path of skimmmable blue. the next two hours saw a parade of kooks enjoying this spring delight.
fun day with friends all around, saw so many people from the padded seat environs, that was great.
b

More
02 Jun 2014 05:00 #222347 by mwb
How did I miss DDK? What a great spring day topped off with cold beer at the top.

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
02 Jun 2014 15:04 #222349 by pipedream
Replied by pipedream on topic Re: Crystal - 06/01/2014 - The Last day?
It was hard to miss the one and only ddk in his finest luau apparel ;D

I had a swell time shaping the bumps with you fellas yesterday. Coverage should hold for a little while longer before the entrances finally succumb to the rocks below. Sad to see the seats stop spinning with more snow beneath them than when they started moving last fall :'(

SnElk Bowl pond skim looked fun, but the uphill slog out did not. Concomitantly, the boardshorts kept the sweatshirt company in the car all day. Through some combination of non-standard pre-sliding preparation, I managed to apply sunscreen to my face + neck, but not my arms, so now I've got a terrible looking glove-line burn to complement my already abysmal (spring corn) farmer's tan.

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Jun 2014 19:58 #222351 by ddk
Lots of great reports about a great last day, sorry I missed the pond skimming scene - wouldn't have been me but would have been fun to see. Congrats to all that enjoyed a big last weekend of lift served skiing at Crystal....now on to the single track bike trails.