Home > Trip Reports > May 31, 2014, Inter Glacier

May 31, 2014, Inter Glacier

5/31/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by mtneer ordinaire on 6/1/14 3:13am
Started our ascent at 8:30am under clear blue skies, comfortable temps, and light winds.  Continuous snow began 2.5 miles from the trailhead.  The snow on Inter Glacier was well-bonded and skinning conditions were excellent.

6.5 hours later, tired from the long ascent beneath a cloudless sun and no cooling breeze, we reached SteamBoat Prow.  Snacked, snapped a few pics, took a 20 minute nap, then prepared for our descent.

The top 200' was lightly crusted but carveable.  The next 1,500' was flawless hero corn snow.  Conditions were so good, I can't recall the last time I skied such perfect spring snow.  The remaining 1,200' descent, to the toe of the Inter Glacier was difficult due to 18+" of ski penetration on very wet snow.  2.5 hours later, we arrived at the White River Campground parking lot where we happily unloaded our backpacks.

A spectacular day skiing Rainier's dramatic lower NE face.

This is one of the best ski runs in Washington when you hit it right for spring skiing.  I rarely lap something in spring because spring is not my thing, but this run I have.  It has a perfect pitch and can be so smooth like a manicured run at some posh resort in Colorado with perfect corn but far better because you feel like a soaring bird.  You seem to have hit it right.....definitely envious I was not there.

I will have to settle for left overs this year, but this run will happen. 

Reply to this TR

may-31-2014-inter-glacier
mtneer ordinaire
2014-06-01 10:13:05