Home > Trip Reports > May 26 opposite Iron Cap mountain

May 26 opposite Iron Cap mountain

5/26/14
Posted by Jake the Brit on 5/27/14 2:02pm
The Middle Fork road is smooth, you can do 60 mph without destroying your spine. The construction guys who do the construction work clearly don€™t like impacted spines on the way to work. Seems logical that they fix it before they pave it.
I€™m into local skiing right now, why drive to Leavenworth when you can go 34 miles to North Bend & enter THE MIDDLE FORK. You get to ride your bike 8 miles each way, hike a few more miles to snow,  take a sauna in a cave, risk getting locked in if you screw up the road closures and there€™s still bog loads of snow. Continuous & thick after the trail goes up to 3800€™ under Overcoat lake. It must be a bog in summer.
Anyway, I did all that (except the cave) since everyone else went south for memorial day, skied a random slope when I got bored of marching along the flat, the slope is opposite Iron Cap mountain. I stopped at 5500 since I was scared & it was going to rain, again. Stupid of me since if I€™d have toughed it out I€™d have got a peachy view of the N face of summit chief. Oh well, I€™ll just have to go back.
The pic below is s face Iron Cap, the other one is a squiggley line of dubous utlity. Great area though with a myriad of choices.
Hooray, local skiing! How is the road beyond Middle Fork Campground? I assume it's not part of this improvement project and thus as bumpy as ever. Anyway, I may have to get out there when it opens again in a few days...

author=frankfrank link=topic=31793.msg133548#msg133548 date=1401257032]
How is the road beyond Middle Fork Campground? I assume it's not part of this improvement project and thus as bumpy as ever.

It's really not bad at all, but then I enjoy pot-hole dodging, but you're right it's not slated to be upgraded. Watch out for the closures, there's an excellent link on the 'roads' bit of TAY. ROck on local skiing!

Cool trip, I love misadventures into middle earth.

I really enjoyed your TR and style plus the photos.  ;)

totally appreciate your thought pattern and resulting motion, here's a view from the other side -

Reply to this TR

may-26-opposite-iron-cap-mountain
Jake the Brit
2014-05-27 21:02:41