Home > Trip Reports > May 27, 2014, Silver slopes

May 27, 2014, Silver slopes

5/27/14
Posted by silaswild on 5/27/14 8:33am
Coldest day on Silver for me this spring.  Nice crisp corn on first west side run. Warm in the sun, very cool when cloudy.  Slushy east slopes on afternoon exit.  One of our party had a binding mishap and Jim H Mcgiver did a great repair, thanks!    https://vimeo.com/96659644
Sunset shift, missed you.
Not sure if the Scotts Dairy Freeze double cheese I had while gearing up was fuel, or ballast.
Snow was nice. West slope to Annette was really excellent. Thanks to the pair that put in fresh bootpack just prior. Nicely placed climbers left.
On run back towards car sun was almost down, temps cold with breeze, and there was a little bit of refreeze. But the tracks have become practically groomer snow so the trapping crust wasn't an issue.
Cover in lower Windy is a little sketch but should work for another few days?

Interesting track ghosts in that first picture, Silas.  Do you think the arc tracks under the cornice are snowmobile highmark tracks?  Liked the sunset photo, wolfs.

Is the W run toward Annette still worthwhile? Can you ski all the way down to the trail/lake elevation? I was thinking of approaching from that side sometime in the next week, probably earlier rather than later based on the sunnier forecast.

author=LangleyBackcountry link=topic=31791.msg133621#msg133621 date=1401385459]
Is the W run toward Annette still worthwhile? Can you ski all the way down to the trail/lake elevation? I was thinking of approaching from that side sometime in the next week, probably earlier rather than later based on the sunnier forecast.

Worthwhile? - yes.

Skiable to the lake/ trail elevation? - no.  maybe down to elev. 4200-4300ft now.

Just a few more pics and vids from sat 24th and tues 27th

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11723786@N06/sets/72157644919783054/

several ski action shots were hijacked from Snakeman's Silver peak 5-24-14 post (without permission!) thanks Snakeman for the awesome action shots!

This time of year, that's a good approach for people who prefer hiking a ways up and down on dirt with skis on their back versus taking advantage of snow from close the bumper. I realize that the xmas tree maze right above Windy Pass (on FR 9070) is becoming a bit more challenging low down, perhaps even requiring a few carries by now especially if you don't ace the maze, but even in the worst case you will be a LOT closer to snow there than you would be down at the Annette TH...

I was totally shocked at how much the west slope melted in 3 days!
It lost more than half of saturday 24th's available ski area by tues 27th.
There tends to be a slim skiable strip near the trees named (by some) "the blue ribbon" run which will probably hold for awhile in terms of skiability.  But hiking up from the lake will very likely be sketchy for snow cover very soon.

Reply to this TR

may-27-2014-silver-slopes
silaswild
2014-05-27 15:33:24