Home > Trip Reports > May 26, 2014, Silver slopes

May 26, 2014, Silver slopes

5/26/14
Posted by silaswild on 5/26/14 10:45am
As expected, snow is melting quickly, bushes are popping up in the approach track from Windy Pass, and conditions are getting more consolidated.  The blue sky in Seattle, plus forecast weather improvement in the afternoon, motivated us to make the short drive.  There were several cars headed down the road as we went up, the early birds perhaps?, and five cars parked at the end.

We found 1-2" corn on the west slopes, and 2-3" on east.  https://vimeo.com/96545741  A couple dads were carrying skis for their boot packing young sons, great to see them extending their ski season!  We experienced cloudy conditions with cool wind on the way up, sunshine on the run toward Annette Lake, 15-20 minutes of light rain on the boot pack out, cloudy back to the car, and blue skies for apres tour beverages there.
Picture two , my kinda terrain it doesn't get any better than that !

We had a little bit of everything there yesterday.  PNW mist, pea-soup fog, sun, hail/sleet, and rain.  The tasty corn was all I needed!  Good seeing you up there Silas/Greg/Josh/Elliot/Tim/Frisbee, glad to hear the ribs are doing better!

Can still ski to the car, but it's a bit of a dance through the shrubbery now...  Annette run will be gone soon.

B

I was the early bird arriving there around 8am and had the pleasure of being rained on the whole time.  I like to pretend the rain pelting my face on the way down are face shots of glorious white powder.  Seems to make the whole experience in the rain a little bit more enjoyable.  Good skiing though, but like you guys said the easy access it melting out really quickly.  Going to be a little tougher this year keeping the streak alive (31 months) than last year I think.

Reply to this TR

may-26-2014-silver-slopes
silaswild
2014-05-26 17:45:13