Home > Trip Reports > May 21and22, 2014, Cascade Pass, Sahale and Pelton Pk.

May 21and22, 2014, Cascade Pass, Sahale and Pelton Pk.

5/21/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Shred on 5/26/14 10:25am
A group of us headed up to the Cascade Pass area for a few days, to take advantage of the nice weather. The tree that was blocking the road is now cleared and travel to the upper locked gate is no problem. The road above the gate is snow free within 1/3 mile of the Picnic/trail head area. Travel to the Pass is easy and straight forward. We opted for the short boot pack up the little head wall to the pass, but the north trending traverse is filled in nicely and was soft.
We skied Sahale the first day with great snow all the way down to Doubtful lake.
The following day, We headed down the Pelton Basin to ski some steeper lines, with the exception of a few others of our group that had such a great time on Sahale, the day prior, they just had to get her again. Our main objective was not in shape, but we had a great consolation prize of skiing from the top of Pelton Peak.
Cascade Pass is Prime!

Here is a little vid of conditions and skiing:
http://thesnowtroopers.com/2014/15853/
Wow, you guys really got after it! Rad video too -  that has got to be the best amateur ski edit I've ever seen. I loved all of the glide crack hucks and party skiing pov shots. Way to keep stoking the fire in the later season.

Super fun video.  Thanks for sharing.  You guys look like a lucky bunch to have such great ski partners and friends.

Looks great, thanks for sharing the video! Yikes, close call at 4:40 - that would have been a rough ride.

Its the kickest ass of the kick ass up there. Looks like nice conditions, too.

How'd the CJ look? Bad runnels? Bergschrund?

Well done! That's a lot of great folks making a bunch of great turns!

Thanks All! We have almost as fun making these funky little edits, as the skiing... well, Almost.

Tabski, The lower CJ was a  runnel fest. The upper looked pretty good. Didn't notice any shrund issues. I will dig through some pics and see if I got any of the CJ. I'm sure someone in our crew got one... Paging Mr. Chrols.?

Inspiring! Thanks for the spring stoke

That pumped me up.  One of my favorite areas... deep in my soul.

Loved it. Thanks!

I don't have any photos of the CJ.  Looked filled in to me though.  Here are some of my other photos.

A couple more.

CJ
I thought it looked pretty good, alpine start probably required.

Zack

Reply to this TR

may-21and22-2014-cascade-pass-sahale-and-pelton-pk
Shred
2014-05-26 17:25:28