Home > Trip Reports > May 24 - Van Trump Park, MRNP

May 24 - Van Trump Park, MRNP

5/24/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by AndyMartin on 5/25/14 3:14am
Saturday promised to be the least-worst of the three day weekend, so a long-ish snow slog seemed in order. Leaving the Comet Falls trailhead at 8 am various modes of travel were employed to cover the awkward terrain past the falls; trail runners, microspikes and then boots. Switched to skinning on reasonably clean snow at about 5,300€™ and proceeded to climb into the wrong drainage in the thick trees and fog. Still, this had the benefit of following a new (to me) route alongside the Comet Falls drainage and eventually up on to the lower slopes of the Wapowety cleaver. Lots of evidence of older wet slides, including a 2 foot vertical crown I had to de-ski to climb over. Above 7,000€™ the snow was stellar, smooth white corn just barely softening in the hazy sun and mist. Called it a day at the foot of the Turtle where the cleaver joins the Wilson glacier and enjoyed a long sunny break with not a soul in sight (other than a few distant ants on the Muir bootpack). The first 2,500 feet of skiing were sublime turns on unblemished smooth corn, with not a human mark present. Below 7,000€™ the snow was mushier and sticky until reaching the shaded and debris covered woods. Ran into another party of 4 skiers heading up at about 5,700€™, the first people I had seen in about 7 hours. Encountered increasing numbers of tourists on the way down, including the typical large family groups in tennis shoes carrying babies, heading towards the insecure snow slopes below the falls. Back to the car around 3:40 after an enjoyable 6,000€™ day with quite a bit of variety. New snow forecast on Wednesday should keep things pretty good up there quite a while longer.
How did the coverage look on Copper, Iron  and Pyramid?

Hard to see with the clouds but Cliff Mass says the snow depth at Paradise is 10-20% above average for the date. I'd say everywhere above 5,000' is looking pretty good.

I was one of the four that you met on the mountain that day. Thanks for the brief hello.

We continued for a while past the point we met you to about 6200ft, but did not climb any higher due to lack of visibility. We were a few hours too late!

Reply to this TR

may-24-van-trump-park-mrnp
AndyMartin
2014-05-25 10:14:56