Home > Trip Reports > May 20, 2014, White Pass

May 20, 2014, White Pass

5/20/14
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Zap on 5/21/14 6:50am
I arrived at White Pass ski area about 12:30pm and started skiing at 1pm. The snow pack starts at the Day Lodge at 4500'.  A snow cat  had groomed 2 perfect lines on Poma Face on the left of the Great White Express. I put on the ski crampons and it was wonderful climbing on the groomer with an inch of soft snow.  At the top of the Far East lift, I removed the ski crampons and  skinned up on the Cascade trail near to the top of Great White Express. The snow cats have also groomed a couple of lower trails. I made the first tracks on the trails and it was fantastic. Also the ungroomed trails were very nice with no sun cups. I'm enjoying the perfect groomers at a closed ski area. ;)
Did you notice, was there snow still on Main Street? When the resort is open I usually skin up that way to the bottom of the Bird chair to access the expansion area.

Way to go, Zap!  Thanks for all the recent info, and the inspiration to get out.

I was up there a couple weeks back and did find it interesting that a number of ski runs seemed to be groomed, albeit with a few inches of snow on top.  I was thinking is this a phantom opening of the ski area in May? My guess is they run the cats to haul things down from the upper mountain.

author=PhilH link=topic=31749.msg133342#msg133342 date=1400714826]
Did you notice, was there snow still on Main Street? When the resort is open I usually skin up that way to the bottom of the Bird chair to access the expansion area.

I did not look at Main Street.

author=Rusty Knees link=topic=31749.msg133357#msg133357 date=1400734379]
Way to go, Zap!  Thanks for all the recent info, and the inspiration to get out.

You could due a 2 for 1 on this weekend.  With Chinook Pass opening on Friday at noon.  You could ski at White Pass and then a short drive to get to the opener at Chinook. I would love to due it but I am at Timberline. Plus a 2 for 1 at my age is  not allowed.;)

Re:grooming. My kids were down at WP last Fri-Sun (w/o me) for a private "flight and speed camp" to practice DH jumps- they ran the chairs for them ~7am-12pm up off of Couloir. Main Street was groomed / had snow back to the base, as Chair 4 wasn't going for them. 

Reply to this TR

may-20-2014-white-pass
Zap
2014-05-21 13:50:04