Home > Trip Reports > May 10-12, 2014, Bike to Baker

May 10-12, 2014, Bike to Baker

5/10/14
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by calamity on 5/19/14 11:26am
Headed out saturday the 10th from Vancouver around noon and started south on bike paths and roads. Crossed the Alex Fraser bridge mid afternoon and continued south through light intermittent showers, green routes, varying quality drivers and increasing flatness. Stopped in Fort Langley for a grade A donair and energy drink (wheat based).

Camped in Aldergrove after roughly 80km under clearing skies. Sunday dawned hot as we rode casually to sumas. Post border we climbed to maple falls and down to the river for some lunch. Rolled into glacier mid afternoon and met our third partner, just in time to claim the last bar steaks(for the next month!) at grahams and fuel up with more energy drink for the final haul up the road. Ross ditched the leaning tower of skis mid way up and I walked when the trailer threatened to drag me backwards down the gravel covered asphalt.

Crashed at the snow line, up at 2am and hiking the road. made the glacier edge at 7 after some crusty skinning to see the sun coming over baker. Food, sunscreen, much zinc, and we were moving again. summited at 2 as light clouds rolled over the summit and sulphur filled the air. snacks, transitions, photo ops, and commenced a slightly chopped up descent that changed to the wettest glop by the time we made the drainage, and then it got wetter. Attempted some rough turns through the suck, but mostly straight-lined while wishing we had waxed more.

Back to chair nine after a long day for burgers, and tossed everything in the truck telling each other we could have biked home if we wanted, but that we didnt need to prove anything. A great trip, and the way to do baker. Back Monday evening in Van city.
What, no packraft!?

Congrats, what a cool trip!

Agreed... great trip, man.

I like your style!

you coulda kayaked from vancouver!

impressive!

Studs!  Neat outing - you deserved better skiing......

That pull-behind wagon is slick.  Nice work and thanks for the report!

So, you were the one I saw cycling up that road as I was driving down after a day of skiing on Heliotrope Ridge!  I was thinking that's gotta be be a leg burner cycling uphill with equipment in tow.

that looked really fun

Reply to this TR

may-10-12-2014-bike-to-baker
calamity
2014-05-19 18:26:01