Home > Trip Reports > May 18 ONP Plow Happy?

May 18 ONP Plow Happy?

5/18/14
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 5/18/14 1:15pm
Last week It looked like the Obst Point Road was being plowed. Seemed a bit early for that as the road is not normally opened to car traffic until early July.  The Hurricane Hill road (currently closed to car traffic) was also plowed well before what is considered normal.

Is there a new policy at work here?

The Obst Point road is plowed  1/4 mile above Waterhole and also closed to all car traffic.

Lots of great skiing to be had for the effort. I got soaked today for my efforts but the views were spectacular when it opened up enough for a glimpse of the peaks! It was a mix of snow, rain and fog for most of the afternoon with visibility at times close to zero.

This does seem earlier than I can remember.  Too bad the NPS doesn't seem to have the same enthusiasm for plowing roads early during the winter  ;o)

Heads up to travelers that Hurricane Ridge road will be closed nights at Heart O' Darkness and not reopened until 10AM weekdays until June 5th:

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2014/05/maintenance-work-will-close-hurricane-ridge-road-olympic-national-park-overnights-through-early-june25081

Good grief! Look at that gouge-out on the HR Road. 
How did you go out the Obstruction Point Road-  Walk, bike/ski, what combo?

author=telemack link=topic=31733.msg133252#msg133252 date=1400475507]
Good grief! Look at that gouge-out on the HR Road. 
How did you go out the Obstruction Point Road-  Walk, bike/ski, what combo?

All of the above :)

Reply to this TR

may-18-onp-plow-happy
runcle
2014-05-18 20:15:15