Home > Trip Reports > May 17, 2014, Silver slopes

May 17, 2014, Silver slopes

5/17/14
Posted by silaswild on 5/17/14 2:43pm
Thanks to avajane for reporting good skiing on west slopes of Silver.  Today we found the Cold Creek road only drivable to 2700' (possibly a 4x4 truck driver with higher desire and clearance could get further, but likely not past the first switchback at 2950') and sleds (gasp!) were very helpful.  We tandem rode them on snow to 2950' then the passengers walked the dry dirt section to 3300' where we boarded the sleds again for a ride all the way to the north basin at 5160'.

Then we made the short boot pack to the ridge, and skied 1" deep crisp corn 1200' down the west side, where we set a boot pack back up (two of our split boarders tried to ski, but changed to booting after one kick turn.)  Skiing down into the north bowl was slushier and grabby below 4200'.

Rather than giving them the finger, I say two thumbs up for sledders!  We saw only one other person during our outing, and enjoyed the hiker's company.  His wilderness experience was not ruined by our sleds.

Maybe the forecast rain will allow the road to be driven as far as 3600' by next weekend, but I think a sled/skier/slider love fest is a good idea.  That way sloppy skinning is minimized and westside corn skiing and booting is maximized.  Thanks Hale and Nigel.
Thanks for the update. Did you cross-post over at snowest?  ;)

Could always approach from Anette Lake instead.

Thanks for the boot pack Silas! 

Man I can't believe the road is still covered that far down, time to get a bobcat so I can get some worthwhile turns in after work.  I'm glad that not everyone hates snowmobiles :)

We got up to Silver of Saturday also. Must have been after you. We saw the sled tracks. We came up from Annette. Didn't bring the skis. There was a little bit of bushwhacking down low near the lake, but it didn't take long to hit snow. Then it was snow all the way up.

Reply to this TR

may-17-2014-silver-slopes
silaswild
2014-05-17 21:43:20