Home > Trip Reports > May, 16, 2014, Silver Peak early Harvest

May, 16, 2014, Silver Peak early Harvest

5/16/14
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by avajane on 5/16/14 10:35am
Quick,timely report with no pictures. Scott will probably post some later, and I have some nice video as well. Warm, nice day but not scorching hot. Parked well below big switchbacks then had a couple mile mostly road walk. The inside bowl had lots of evidence of slides that just made the flats. Most were from recent cornice falls. Some may have been from high marking snowmobile bikes. Skinning up and out was possible with 2-3 inches of ski penetration. The top six inches was soft but seemed well bonded to a harder layer below. We did a great run down towards the lake and put in a boot pack back to the ridge 800 feet up. It was perfect corn with only a couple of inches of ski penetration. Rocks were already starting to pop up! We skied skiers right down and found some invisible glue  - but still fun. The top 4 inches in the inner bowl had been cooking all day and was ready to slide anywhere steep. I didn't ski into the steep gulch at the bottom! Very nice day. We saw two old guys that we're trying to get out of skiing the lakeside slope but I think we talked them in to it!
From the first switchback until you turn the corner and head west toward Windy Pass is all gravel. Before that is a half mile or so of rapidly dwindling mix, and you'll have skinning for about a half mile to Windy Pass for a while yet.

Short video of me and Scott Presho skiing the slope above Lake Annette

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202997796123537

Reply to this TR

may-16-2014-silver-peak-early-harvest
avajane
2014-05-16 17:35:43