Home > Trip Reports > May 14-15, 2014, Bean Ck, Earl, Iron, Teanaway Road

May 14-15, 2014, Bean Ck, Earl, Iron, Teanaway Road

5/14/14
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by artfreeman on 5/16/14 3:44am
Dicey, Hollywood, Jack the dog and I skied Earl on Wed, and Iron on Thurs. with a relaxing car camp at Beverly Ck CG. We were spooked by the reports of so much new snow having fallen up north and decided to go to what we thought would be a safer area.  It was warm and soft as you'd expect given the temps.  We skied the slopes north of Earl and of Iron and were very careful not to get below cornices.  Most were melted back but big ones remain and we saw chunks fall off during the day.  2 fun days, but we need some freezing at night for this to corn up.

Drove to Bean TH and walked 1 hour on dirt before skinning.  Still lots of snow up high, but thin down low.  You must pay the price.  I was surprised to read an earlier report about skiing chutes on the SW of Earl.  I did not even see how they connect at this point.  You da man! But the more open slopes have attractive coverage.

Drove up Teanaway River Road to the TH to Iron.  Hiked the nice trail about 1/2 hour to easy skinning, and took 3 laps on the NE slopes from near top of Iron.  Some shallow slides, and also a decent ski run back on the west side to the trail.

Drove up Teanaway road until stopped by deep snow--there were tracks, but it looked too deep for our car, and we were not gong up anyway, just checking.  This was about 1 mile from the road-end.

author=artfreeman link=topic=31710.msg133171#msg133171 date=1400265869]
I was surprised to read an earlier report about skiing chutes on the SW of Earl.  I did not even see how they connect at this point.  You da man!
Since I've not been up there this season, I can't comment on what it actually looks like now. But what I can say is that if you followed more or less the summer trail line up Earl, there are some lines down the west face (from between the summit and the northern prominence of the summit ridge, closer to the northern prominence) that have looked improbable to us even in good-cover conditions until we got more under them - they are a bit visually occluded from the summer trail route and you can't quite see them from above either - we have always carefully scanned our chosen line from the basin.

Reply to this TR

may-14-15-2014-bean-ck-earl-iron-teanaway-road
artfreeman
2014-05-16 10:44:29